Freeware Screen Capture Software?

crusher8576

Does anyone know any good free screen capture software that allows me to take multiple screenshots while in a video game (specifically, battlefield 2). i want to be able to take screenshots, then have them be automatically saved to a specific folder, so i dont have to exit the game, paste the picture and save it, then start the whole game again just to take another screenshot.

any suggestions?

p.s. or if anyone knows how to make it so when i press print screen, the picture will be saved to a folder, instead of being copied to the clip board. that would be good too.

Fraps isn't free, but it is the best audio/video + image capture program for games. Usually the screen capture button in games is F5, though. There's a freeware one called GameCam v1.3 (latest). I've never tried it personally, but I'd say Fraps is the best.

If you also want to make vids of your screen, you shouldn't even try to do it... I made a very short CoD2 video and it was 200mb+ of size! To make normal screenshots you should look at options-controls at the game, there you usually find the button you need to press to make a screenshot! (They are usually saved in your BF2 program files folder in that way)

Sars! :w00t:

If you also want to make vids of your screen, you shouldn't even try to do it... I made a very short CoD2 video and it was 200mb+ of size!

This is because Fraps saves the captured video as Raw AVI. It has to preserve the quality as best it can, given the program settings. The idea is for the visual difference between how you game appears and the captured video to be minimal. If you select "60 FPS" in Fraps, it will do less compression-on-the-fly and thus the quality of your video will be slightly less than that of the original, but at the same time, you'll get higher FPS during a Fraps capture (some people hate Fraps because it lowers their FPS too much).

Fraps splits files into 4 GB chunks, I believe, for every 15-20 minutes or so. For people with large HDs, filesize isn't really an issue, because you'll most likely be editing the video and encoding it to DivX/XviD/etc to fit on CDs, or just to get rid of the huge raw AVIs.

X-Fire

screenshots can be taken ingame, and are saved to a screenshots folder. no exiting game required

Xfire requires the making of an account, btw... I use it too but it's more for chatting anyways (ingame chatting)

• 2 weeks later...