Access locked user folders

r-mineaction

Hi all

i have a urgent problem, the laptop of one of my coworkers has crashed... error message after the start up screen (IBM Think pad) is that the system file under Window/system32/config is corrupt or missing, so i can even access the OS. because we work in remote areas (in Sudan) we do not have the Win XP installation CD here and it would take weeks to get them here...

i removed the HDD from the laptop and tried to copy all the datas to a memory stick (using an external HDD case) but my coworker has locked here user account with a passowrd, which means here "my Documents" folder is locked and i can't copy or access it...

does somebody knows a way how i can get access to this data? it's really urgent!! please email me directly to remomineaction@gmail.com

many thanks for your help

Remo

1. Takeover ownership of the directory, it should help.

2. You can read it from linux/bartPE

3. Get some tool to convert the filesystem to FAT32 (for example partition magic)

one of above should do it

Thanks for your help, but it didn't work... i downloaded partition magic 8.0 but the drive could was not recognised as logical or primary drive, so i can't convert it to FAT32..

Maybe the option to take over the user rights could work, but you need to explain me short where to go and how to do it... can't find such a command...

Thanks

the system file under Window/system32/config is corrupt or missing

This is where the Registry hives are stored, looks like you or someone had fun playing around in there.

As for the data on the harddrive, why don't you just boot to a CD and copy the data to a secondary harddrive?

Disable the simple file sharing .

Right click on the properties of that locked folder.

Now navigate yourself to the ownership tap and obtain ownership for that folder.

You would have unlocked it

Welcome to MSFN :)

if you have a cd (or other system you can attach the drive to) you can boot from which you can access the drive you can replace the missing/corrupt file with one of the recent backups mae by System restore. Microsoft has a couple of KB articles on how to do it.

Knew it was around here somewhere:

Fixing registry:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71807&hl=

Getting access: (detailed)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=10561&hl=#