Super Windows XP SP1 CD (Post 2)

Well, I just tried my first install and it mostly worked. I must admit that I'm using a slightly less than legal version of XP (a long story; I'll have a legal copy from the college bookstore soon, but in the mean time I've been wanting to perfect my install disc) but I don't think this is affecting anything. At any rate, my first run has had a couple tiny problems:

1) First of all, some hotfixes could not be found by the batch file. I think I can handle this one, as it is probably simply me either forgetting to download some updates or some other boneheaded mistake on my part. I had a similar problem with DirectX 9b, but I'm almost positive I've got that problem dealt with.

2)Second of all, how do I get setup to format the partition (preferably in fat32) before installing? This is probably another stupid mistake on my part once again. :)

3) Is there a way to log what happens in the batch files? That'd help quite a bit in my debugging efforts (although I suppose I could write errors down myself, however. :rolleyes:

4) Is there a way to set the "silver" Luna color scheme by default? Just a small preference of mine. There's probably a registry key out there to set it methinks.

5) Oddly enough, setup didn't set my color depth and refresh rate as instructed by winnt.sif. Any ideas why not? :D

Well, I think that's all for now. I'm off to start fixing errors.

:) Does anyone no where i can get a patched shell32.dll from i would be very grateful from it.

Thanks

That depends on what you really want one for. Most shell32.dll files are resource-edited to display custom themed icons in Internet Explorer's toolbar and most of the system's main icons. There are many different created icon themes you can get from theme sites.

Well, I just tried my first install and it mostly worked.  I must admit that I'm using a slightly less than legal version of XP (a long story; I'll have a legal copy from the college bookstore soon, but in the mean time I've been wanting to perfect my install disc) but I don't think this is affecting anything.  At any rate, my first run has had a couple tiny problems:

1) First of all, some hotfixes could not be found by the batch file.  I think I can handle this one, as it is probably simply me either forgetting to download some updates or some other boneheaded mistake on my part.  I had a similar problem with DirectX 9b, but I'm almost positive I've got that problem dealt with.

2)Second of all, how do I get setup to format the partition (preferably in fat32) before installing?  This is probably another stupid mistake on my part once again. :)

3) Is there a way to log what happens in the batch files?  That'd help quite a bit in my debugging efforts (although I suppose I could write errors down myself, however. :rolleyes:

4) Is there a way to set the "silver" Luna color scheme by default?  Just a small preference of mine.  There's probably a registry key out there to set it methinks.

5) Oddly enough, setup didn't set my color depth and refresh rate as instructed by winnt.sif.  Any ideas why not? :D

Well, I think that's all for now.  I'm off to start fixing errors.

1. Yeah, getting those kind of problems are common. I had to do 15 attempts to get my CD perfect 2 months back.

2. Have you read the bottom of the page at Finishing Off? This will show you how you can choose your own filesystem.

3. Watch the errors that appear in the Command Window, most will usually say "The specified file cannot be found, or specified directory cannot be found". This should be enough so you can inspect your batch commands and see where you went wrong. Most, if not all errors are due to misplaced files/folders, typos and incorrect paths.

4. I will have to look into this one, because Luna only has one theme file with all three msstyles in it. Might use a registry monitor to see what happens when I try to change to Silver.

5. This could possibly be a graphics driver limitation?

:rolleyes: Does anyone no where i can get a patched shell32.dll from i would be very grateful from it.

Thanks

That depends on what you really want one for. Most shell32.dll files are resource-edited to display custom themed icons in Internet Explorer's toolbar and most of the system's main icons. There are many different created icon themes you can get from theme sites.

:D Thanks for th info on there to get one from.

:)

Just a question on the Applications > Movie Maker 2 instructions...

Downloading the suggested file IS mm20enu.exe (there's no need to extract it). And when I run it, it's a full-blown installer. How do I get the mm20.msi and setup.exe files out of it??

TIA - Larz

OK, OK, I'm an id***! Instead of RTFM, there should be an FTFI for "FOLLOW the f****** INSTRUCTIONS!" When you say "use WinRAR", you mean USE WINRAR. Sorry about the confusion.

Larz

I've found at least a way to at least partially set the Silver theme as default. Just use this key in a reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
"ColorName"="Metallic"

However, I've noticed that this doesn't change the text in the program title bar from white to black. There are probably other things that arne't done, also, but for the time being its a start. :)

Second, I've got a tiny problem with the IE and OE cumulative updates (among a few other things). They run in the batch file with no complaints, but Windows Update does not detect them as being installed and attempting to reinstall them from the files I've downloaded results in an error message about the updates requiring IE or OE 6. I have similar problems with a WMP9 update, the javascript 5.6 update, and "Q323255_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU" but these files will install. Finally, I'm having a terrible time finding a file to download for Q817287 ("Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database "). The link to the coroprate Windows Update site in the guide seems to point to the standard site. Once again, there's probably something really obvious I'm missing, but oh well. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Corporate Windows Update link fixed:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/d...?corporate=true

You might have also got the wrong cumulative patches for IE6 and OE6. There's serveral for different versions so make sure you get the ones for IE6SP1. This also happened to me when I installed XP's IE6SP1 patch on Windows Server 2003.

XP IE6SP1:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/E...0D3/q818529.exe

XP OE6SP1:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5...218/q330994.exe

If you ran the batch then accessed WindowsUpdate straight after, its bound to report incorrect information because most of the hotfixes don't load properly until the system's been rebooted.

I've noticed that even though commands exits in my main_batch.cmd file for removing the screensavers, when windows starts the screensaver files are all still there and in working order. Has anyone else ecountered this?

I've noticed that even though commands exits in my main_batch.cmd file for removing the screensavers, when windows starts the screensaver files are all still there and in working order. Has anyone else ecountered this?

:) For some reasons windows restore them after you delete them so i have just left it out of my batch file.

Hey Guys does anyone no the follow switchs for a quite install of

ISOBuster

Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro

Easy CD Creater 5

Easy CD Creater 5 Update to 5.3.5.10

Acrobat Reader 5

Norton Personal Firewall 2003

Norton system Works 2003

Partition Magic 8.0

WinRAR 3.0

if anyone does i would be grateful if u could tell me

Thanks. :)

Adobe Reader 6 is the updated Acrobat Reader 5, instructions are on site as well as WinRAR 3.20

for NAV 2003, its NAV.msi /QB (or /QN). Systemworks and Personal firewall should be the same as they use MSI files too.

ISObuster doesn't have any silent install switches, but try using an app like Auto-It or AI Snapshot (part of Symantec Ghost Corp.) to take a snapshot of your system before and after installation, so it knows what files and registry entries to put in.