[LAN] My neighbour sucks all Bandwidth

i'm sharing ADSL 256 Kbs with my neighbours

all PCs are connected to a switch which connected to a router.

one of my neighbours insists on downloading movies during all the day

which sucks all the bandwidth and i can't do anything on the net,

i told him that, but no way...

is there a trick or something through the default gateway to stop him

even for a while until i finished my session on the net ?? (the switch isn't in my flat / i'm using XP Pro)

Thank you.

Topic title edited. Please follow the rules.

Edited by Gouki

If your landlord set it up then you may have to tell him about it.

Since you seem to have administrative access to the router you could try setting a rule in the router to disable their internet access when you want to use it. If your movie-loving neighbor complains then tell them you tried playing nice...

Edited by 5eraph

Since you seem to have administrative access to the router you could try setting a rule in the router to disable their internet access when you want to use it. If your movie-loving neighbor complains then tell them you tried playing nice...

and how is that ?? through the ip address range or what ?? Thanks.

If your neighbor is using P2P you may have to disable all their access; it's too easy to change outgoing ports as I know all too well. :) You can try blocking the common incoming ports but it won't be perfect, and you can't block incoming IPs because there will be far too many from multiple ranges.

You'll need to get together with your other neighbors so you know what LAN IPs each of you use. Then, through the process of elimination, determine what IP your offending neighbor is using. Block that local IP when you or others need the bandwidth, then remove the block when you're finished.

I can't give you a step-by-step guide without knowing which router you're using.

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks 5eraph so much for the info..., actually i know all IPs of the PCs

but don't know how to block that address !!

is it through the IP adress range, for example we have it set up from:

10.0.0.4 to 10.0.0.15 and his IP is 10.0.0.9 , so had i to reduce the range or what ?

we have Conexant Router.

Edited by grafx1

If the one you want to block is 10.0.0.7, then try blocking 10.0.0.7 - 10.0.0.7. I'm not familiar with Conexant routers, so I can't say specifically how you'd do it.

For D-Link there's an Access Control section under the Advanced tab, your configuration is most likely different.