Shakey dvd playback

DW,

She's got several things working against her from the 'git-go'.

First a Celeron the the weakest CPU that Intel makes. (or anyone else for that matter)

256 ram is bare minimum for any program at all, and WMP is a real resource hog.

So, you need to give WMP all the CPU time and ram that you possibly can.

To do that, you must disable all those redundant Services that are running in Windows, by default.

Here's my short, short list of services to disable for a stand alone PC, not on a network: From the RUN box, type in Services.msc , then maximize the window to full screen size. Then scroll down the list of services to each item on the following list and right click on an item and then click Properties. In the properties box you can Stop a running service and then set the action box to "Disable". Then Apply the change and OK the window to close it. Move down the list to the next item and repeat the process. When done, close the entire window and reboot your PC.

Clip book

Computer Browser

Error Reporting Service

Messenger

Performance Logs and Alerts

Portable Serial Number

Remote Registry

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Routing and Remote Access

Server (leave this on for a local network)

Smart Card Helper

System Event Notification

Task Scheduler

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Upload Manager

Web Client

Windows time

Wireless Zero Configuration (disable if you will never use a wireless network)

Then go into MSCONFIG and disable all those junky TSR's that you don't need starting at boot up.

Then download "End It All 2.exe" from My Download Site.

Install it and run it to shut off all running programs,,,before you try to play DVD's.

After all, you don't need other programs running if you're trying to watch a movie. Do You?

Do don't have a whole lot of computer there, so you have to get real serious about being a good resource manager. :yes:

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

When she set up xp she didnt add a password for the adminastrator account. Eve though she logs in as the adminastrator she is locked out of msconfig, services, regedt etc. Is there a way now for her to get into this part of the computer?

@Andromeda - That computer, dispite having a Celeron 1.4 and 256MB of RAM is still PLENTY powerful enough for basic DVD playback. I've got my parents laptop - a PIII 700 with 128MB of RAM - and it plays almost everything just fine (H264 is the exception - still haven't got that working but it doesn't really matter).

@DW - What program are you using to play the DVDs? You should try a number of them (WMP, MPC, VLC, etc etc).