Clean Install

PROBLEMCHYLD

Did you guys know you can install win98SE upgrade without a previous version.I accidently

came across this method and it was smooth.Create a start up disk from your win98SE cd.insert the floppy

follow all prompts til u get to the A:\ then type D:\setup.exe.

Its just like having the full version.

Yes, but the upgrade cd will eventually ask for proof of your previous licence. You then put in your cd or floppy of the previous Windows version and setup examines it. You then put back your 98SE cd so setup can continue.

Ya know, with the exception of my XP Home which are retail upgrade cd's, I've never experienced this. My 98 cd's are all full versions. At least, what I described above is how the XP upgrade cd's setup does it.

Does the 98SE Upgrade really not ask for proof of eligability? That would have been strange for Microsoft to do!

Edited by Eck

yes i have a win98 upgrade version and winme upgrade version they both can be run from setup.exe and didn'y ask anything about license key of previous OS, currently i have (made) a cd with winme + win98se (both upgrade version) + msdos6.2 + win3.11 + office 2000 all in one cd :D

ive only installed from an upgrade cd once, and it asked for proof of another os. i beleve it was a me upgrade. i have heard though that windows 98 doesnt ask. lol, windows 98 (not se) also allowed you to enter all x's as a serial number. (they eventaully fixed it, but alot of cds were made like that)

The 98se upgrade sometimes ask for an install depending on what kind of DOS it is started from. If you use an unmodified msdos from 98se, it will see that the upgrade has been pre-checked, and will go ahead (as far as i know).

Even if you do it in msbatch.inf mode, it asks up front. For this reason, i have a copy of win31 on the same cdrom, which means that i can point the install at that directory. win95 is a much slower in the compliance check.