XP64

Hi,

I decided to try out XP64, so I downloaded the 180day trial from ms. Now i was very dissappointed. Several files could not be copied during the installation process, and once installed it moans about not being able to load the local profile. If that isnt bad enough, all the window borders look distorted with themes enabled, they are very thin. The start menu does not work (when you mouseover 'all programs' nothing happens), its slow, boot up time is literally 3mins (:o). I thought maybe it was a bad download, so i redownloaded, but the same problem was still there. I use Vista and it's less buggy than this!

HougTimo

My experience wasn't as bad as yours. But I decided to go back to

32bit XP because some of my drivers didn't have 64bit support.

Otherwise it was OK. I'm running a Asus K8N-E DLX 3000+ with 2GB RAM

I tried it with 1GB and noticed a slow down in programs loading.

My experience wasn't as bad as yours. But I decided to go back to

32bit XP because some of my drivers didn't have 64bit support.

Otherwise it was OK. I'm running a Asus K8N-E DLX 3000+ with 2GB RAM

I tried it with 1GB and noticed a slow down in programs loading.

Same mobo as me :thumbup although mine is a 3200+ and only 1GB RAM. I tried Server 2003 64 yesterday and it is quite good - much better than xp64

Built an XP Pro 64 for a client as a small server. Used a purchased 64 Pro (OEM).

Looks great and is very fast, no problems with the display.

Gigabyte 945Pro MB with ICR7R RAID

2 gig DDR2/667

2 x Hitachi SATA2 in RAID

I agree that drivers are a problem for older scanners, etc. Anything new is OK.

Vista (what limp wrist at Microsoft thought of that name) will open the door for 64 OS

with everything (new) having 32/64 drivers, especially as the driver model has changed.

It is very difficult to buy a CPU that is not 64 bit, this will also drive the change.

:hello:

It is very difficult to buy a CPU that is not 64 bit, this will also drive the change.

Not in Eastern Europe. B)

In the UK, you can't get any 32-bit AMD procs anymore, and no 64-bit INtels :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

hmm ive heard mixed things about the 64 bit edition of XP, just like what some of you guys said one of my friends said he didnt notice much difference from 32 bit to 64 bit. i just might have to try the 64 bit for myself and find out :D