New G7 Color!

Zxian

how do u do this mod? any guide?

zxian- "I haven't been doing any worse than before with my MX500."

so this means that ur pretty bad? lol

and i had a wireless intellimouse before i got the mx518 and i liked how it fit my hand but i hated the lag.

@ripken - I don't think I'm that bad... :blushing: I can usually get a 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratio in CS.

Like I said before - the wireless connection of the G7 is NOTHING like the wireless intellimouse. I had one of those as well (actually - I still do... stupid piece-o-crap), but I ended up not using it at all because the lag got too annoying - even in Windows. If you haven't tried the G7, go down to your local retail store, and "test-drive" it for 7 days. Buy it, use it, return it (make sure the store has a no-questions asked policy). That's what I did last fall with the G7, and I was hooked. It's just that the retail store wanted $140 for it - which is a bit steep for any mouse.

Also, the "sleep" mode for the G7 only kicks in after about 30 seconds. If you're not moving for 30 seconds, then you're a camper. :P

It ain't very difficult to do that mod (I figured it out myself when I read that it was possible to remove the weight in the MX500):

1. Open up the mouse as described for example here.

2. You'll see that the scrollwheel has two small springs, one on each side.

3. Remove the right (when the cord is pointing away from yourself) spring only, be careful not to accidentally remove the left one.

(4. Optional: Remove some more screws to be able to remove the shell of the mouse for cleaning it if necessary.)

As with most things, unscrewing a few screws won't damage it if you are careful.

@DL - Does the MX518 have side to side scrolling? Does the mod affect this in any way, or does it just make clicking down on the mousewheel easier?

The MX518 does not have side scrolling!

The specs don't mention it and the wheel doesn't feel like it has.

The mod just makes it easier to click.

@Zxian: Did you remove both the weight and the spring of your MX500?

It was quite an improvement, wasn't it!?

I only removed the weight in my MX500. I never found the middle click in there to be a problem, but then again, the MX500 doesn't have side-scrolling. It does feel a lot nicer than before.

I'll see about removing the spring tonight though. :)

On the other hand, I am getting used to the middle click on the G7. It just took a couple of days, but I barely notice it now.

I find the (unmodified) wheel of some mice (for example the MX-series) a bit too hard to click quickly when gaming. I use all buttons of the mouse and would like to have even more (easy to reach and click) buttons on it.

The MX518 does not have side scrolling!

The specs don't mention it and the wheel doesn't feel like it has.

wow, i guess ur right. i work on 2 comp and my other mouse hase the side scrolling, i hate it when i f*** up like that, sry.

wow, i guess ur right. i work on 2 comp and my other mouse hase the side scrolling, i hate it when i f*** up like that, sry.

It may happen to everyone...

I must admit that I'm a bit careful when posting if someone with lots of posts has already posted in the thread. I want to be quite sure that I'm right before replying to posts.