FDV/HFCLEANUP + IE

tain

We have one system that needs IE now but we'd like to avoid re-installing the OS. Damned IE dependencies!

Is it possible to install IE on top of an FDV/HFCLEANUP system? If so, what version would work best for this? Is there a standalone installer from MS or perhaps a third party?

I suppose you're talking about Win2K...

There's a standalone installer of IE6SP1 but whether it will work depends on whether it replaces ALL IE-related files. If it doesn't, IE5.01 will have to be applied first.

And what about removed files and registry entries that IE depends on?

What I'd do is a repair install with an HFSLIPped CD that still has IE but maybe TommyP or FDV know of something else you can try.

Edited by Tomcat76

The standalone installer won't work. I think you'll need to delete/modify a regkey to be able to install ie6. I'm not sure which offhand, but google around and I'm sure you'll find out which one. I'm guessing it's the HKLM\Software\Internet Explorer area, but I could be wrong.

I'm quite the n00b with HFSLIP+IE...here is what I did:

From a known-good FDV/HFCLEANUP/WIN2K configuration, rebuilt these folders for IE6:

FDVFILES

FIX

HF

HFCABS

I put setup.api and winnt.sif in my FIX folder along with my usual bootloaders (they were previously in FDV).

I used TC's site to add the extra files/hotfixes for IE6 to HF/HFCABS

And I got.....bupkis. The installer hangs after the HFSLIP window has done its thang during 'registers components'...so it is on 'Saves settings' and just sits there staring at me. Winking at me. Taunting me. Oh yeah...I WILL reset you!

Report is attached. My next step is to try it w/o HFCLEANUP.

HFSLIP.zip

when it gets to saving settings, it hangs immediately? like instantly? or the blue bar starts, and then it hangs? i am trying to figure roughly what it might be doing, if it is truly through with registering setup components or what.

long ago in days of old when magic filled the air, i created ie6sp1 and msoe6 standalone installers (tomcat and tp might be referring to others though, i'm not sure). a few folks downloaded them. the msoe worked okay, but the ie was a colossal mess, like frankenstein's monster, it was a horrible creation that probably messed things up more than anything. it's big handicap running on an FDV-ized system was that all of the registry keys are gone. the files i wrote really take the trash out of the registry, so the best you can do is to install MSHTML.DLL and hope for the best.

btw you say 'w/o HFCLEANUP' yet i don't see that in the log?

random suggestion: i run two programs here at work that require ie6, a mass emailer and pc anywhere. the solution: i have removed ie from every pc, but i keep vmware installed and the virtual pc has ie, so i run the email program and pc anywhere within the virtual pc (it can get difficult to keep track of what is happening, sometimes, when i'm busy and i have the virtual pc running fullscreen and i'm logged in to a remote pc doing things...) anyway that's my modest suggestion. if on the other hand you have to have it like for running quickbooks and accounting just wont tolerate the virtual pc, then i guess you've got to give in, heh heh

Wow, I'm really dorking this up, huh?

Sorry about that zip file. I just did a right-click 'add to zip' which always creates a zip named after the working folder (using winrar) but didn't realize that I already had a hfslip.zip from TC :wacko:

btw you say 'w/o HFCLEANUP' yet i don't see that in the log?
I checked the log again and it does day HFCLEANUP detected. I was trying to say that I ran with HFCLEANUP, had issues, and will now try without HFCLEANUP. "w/o" means "without" to me...is that standard lingo? Sometimes my feeble mind can't remember which slang terms are from my military vernacular and which are American Standard.

Previously, it was hanging with about an inch of blue bar. The bar froze there. VMWare was showing intermittent disk activity but nothing was happening. I waited forever and 'ejected' the CD from VMWare.

Running w/o HFCLEANUP did the trick. Installed fine.

Anyway, I have a working ISO now. I'd prefer to have it with HFCLEANUP but this will do for now :)

Tain - Sounds like you should not be so aggressive with your reductions. Remove the files prefixed with the Z's for starters. Remember, those reducers get rid of tons of additional stuff. I found a few apps that don't work, like some disk partitioning software that is on the disk manufacturer's websites.

What's the program that was giving troubles?

Its cool now, just had to dump the reducers. This is only for one machine so the economy of scale doesn't really support an in-depth deconfliction between IE6/HFCLEANUP. I'll just run with it :)

I'm probably too late as usual, but you could've went ("could've gone" in other Commonwealth areas) with IE5 since that'll give you a slightly better performance. You aren't using IE otherwise on that box so it would've been a better alternative.

Aw crap. You're right as usual.

The box is loading as I type this...not really worth it at this point to rebuild a new disc and start all over.

Good tip, though. I'll build an IE5.1 disc when I have spare time in case I need to do this again.

Thanks, everyone!