Change any user password

Mini123

Found a security problem

When you get your password is going to expire warning and you choose to change it when you get the change password box you can enter another users user name and their existing password and change it.

How can this be stopped?

The best way to stop it would ensure your password isnt known by others. In order for that to work you have to type in your current password and then your new password. If you dont know the users password you cant change it.

Agreed..."blacking out" the user name wouldn't do any good. If you know the password already there's nothing stopping you from logging in as that user and changing the password. Sharing passwords is one of the biggest security problems there is...it's a matter of educating your users not to do this.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Agreed..."blacking out" the user name wouldn't do any good. If you know the password already there's nothing stopping you from logging in as that user and changing the password. Sharing passwords is one of the biggest security problems there is...it's a matter of educating your users not to do this.

The user cant change their password in windows that is not an option on the control alt delete menu.

But they can sure make life harder for the admins just thought there might be a method to blocking it out to make it harder for the end user to change their password

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to keep them from changing their password. Most places require that passwords be changed on a schedule (usually at most every 90 days). It's good security practice to change them as often as possible without it being annoying.

Ok,

I am in a domain at work

I get a warning every month ish telling me my password will expire

When i click yes to change the password i get a windows default change password screen i can take out my user name of the user name box and put another users in and change theirs

I am going to tell the admin but i need to know if there is a way to black out the user name box or stop it being edited so i can help my administrator

Hope thats a bit clearer

I don't want the user to not be able to change their password just stop them changing other users passwords

Edited by Mini123