XP PRO UPGRADE and WIN 98,Can you make unattended install

Well I don’t know if it will also work for XP Home, but for my XP Prof Update I only have to change the ExtraData in the Setupp.ini and of course you can also change the Pid Number too... Interesting is that if you only change the Pid it still asks you for a CD.

Hope it works for you, too ;)

Hmmm, based on your response I googled for setupp.ini and here is what I came up with.

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome! But I like to get a response, if it worked for you guys?

@Paradox Me

Did it worked, could you test it?

I'm going to work on it and see. The other post said that he\you couldn't see any differences with modifying the PID number. I'll test and let all know.

Edited by Paradox Me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Well the PID number is only for the serial number, XP is going to accept, but it will not stop asking for a previous XP version.

Really? ****. (Damn is filtered? You gotta be kidding me!)

It does sort of defeat the whole "unattended" concept if I have to be there to stick a disk in when it asks for one...

Meh.

I've set mine back to what it was for now.

If anyone does find a way for me to use files from my Windows2000 CD to skip this tedious stage, please let us know!

• 4 months later...

I'm rather new to this and don't really know how to do what I'm about to suggest,

But is it possible to create some kind of program that starts when you restart your computer and then copies a complete Windows 98 installation from your auto install cd/dvd to your harddrive. Once this is done it starts up the Windows XP Upgrade installation wich then goes on unattended...

Again I don't know how to do this myself but I think it should be possible, what do you think?