Do you like vista in general?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your take on it?

• yes
    • no
    • yah, just not the UI
    • i like the ui, but its too slow
    • other

I havent been able to get my hands on the vista beta so what im going on is just screen shots and what other people say. To be totally honest, if they do get all the bugs worked out, i dont think im going to like it very much. not unless you can set it to look like windows xp. the new UI on vista isnt all that appealing to me. sure the thing might be nice and stable, and i dont have a problem with that, i just dont like the new UI. i would probably use the old one from windows 2000. if theres alternate themes in vista, id also be interested to see them. i have only seen the aero one. i like the UI from the M3 era, like the longhorn one. not the longhorn slate one though. i dont want to judge it before i actually use it myself however. its just the UI thats holding me back from liking it right now. thats all. so whats your take on it?

-brian

It uses 800Mb of RAM so, no f***ing way

am I using it, case closed as far as I am

concerned.

I'll stick with my nLite'd XP thanks, it runs

on 41.5Mb of RAM with all the functionality

I need ;)

You gotta ask why one needs 800Mb and one can

run on 41.5mb. I bet M$ pwns IBM, betchya ;) then

wouldn't the whole fiasco make FAR MORE sense?

Would to me. Think of how a doctor is not interested

in CURING you, because then how does he make a

living from being a doctor if he removes the source

of his income?

My guess is, Willy G has shares in IBM etc, maybe

so may that there is a "conflict of interest". Answer?

Don't use Vista, people are only just upgrading from

Windows 2000 to Windows XP in corporate environments,

take a hint!

for the most part, id have to agree with you. windows xp is one of the newest versions of windows, and its been in use for roughly 5 years now right? and in my opinion, xp is about the best. it might be older, but it still works great on almost any system.

also, i should check out nlite. i only have 192mb of ram in this laptop, so maybe i can use it. i have just under 26mb left to windows right now, and all i have running is windows live messenger and IE :blushing: overall this little laptop runs great, nlite may make it even better :D

-brian

concerned.

Crap please get your facts straight, I am in the beta and each build is getting better. Since it beta it has things like debuggers running so you do take a hit on performance, but when the code is final that will be removed and you gain what was lost during the beta. Microsoft has not even started to optimise the code yet. The memory usage should be around the same as W3K or XP when finished.

Here are some things I have notice

Sound

On my computer the sound from Vista is far better then the same computer running XP.

Graphics

Movies look beter when playing on Vista then XP on my computer.

Games

I only play 1 Sniper Elite, this play about the same on my computer with Vista or XP, but the game on Vista look more brighter and it looks more crisp.

Here is what Vista Build 5365 uses I have 512 MB of ram and I am running 45 processes.

TaskManger5365.PNG

concerned.

Crap please get your facts straight, I am in the beta and each build is getting better. Since it beta it has things like debuggers running so you do take a hit on performance, but when the code is final that will be removed and you gain what was lost during the beta. Microsoft has not even started to optimise the code yet. The memory usage should be around the same as W3K or XP when finished.

Here are some things I have notice

Sound

On my computer the sound from Vista is far better then the same computer running XP.

Graphics

Movies look beter when playing on Vista then XP on my computer.

Games

I only play 1 Sniper Elite, this play about the same on my computer with Vista or XP, but the game on Vista look more brighter and it looks more crisp.

Yes but THE UI SUCKS!! :} to tangly, misty and confused i prefer the one from xp or 2000! not so eye candy but much easy to deal with

but look at your page file usage and cpu usage?

heres mine and im running XP on an 1800 athlon with 512mb of ram

perf5me.th.jpg

I will repeat my self so you can understand it better.

Vista the code is not optimised, it is running debuggers, this affect performance

Some Of the thing I have running

IE7 and 4 tabs, FTP server, Bittorrent Client, WMP , 3 notpad, 2 notpad2, Ms Beta Client for bug report, Ms paint, 4 window explorer, MSN messenger 2 conversation going.

To compare a Beta os to one that a few years old and it code has been been optimised is like comparing a one legged man running a race agaist a 2 legged man, you can not compare them.

I will say this on each build it is getting faster, statbility since build 5308 and up has increased. The install time for this build took approx 30 minutes, my CPU AMD 1700 Mhz. Why not wait and compare it when Vista is released, then that would be a better comparision.

My reply was in responce to Vista and not XP uses 800 MB of ram, but then I assume most people would of know that, sorry if that was not clear to you.

If XP code was not optimised and it had debuggers going how much diffence do you think you would see in ram and page file usage. It like a car the more weight on it the more fuel it uses, the slower it will go.

im sorry if i came off sounding rude. i guess what i need to do is actually test Vista myself, but unfortuneatly i cant. i dont have money to subscribe to the thingy and i dont want to give out my personal info. i heard however that if your invited in, you dont have the do that. but meh. ill see it in due time. anyway, id like to check it out, but yah... :blushing:

one question, how many different visual styles does Vista have other than the aero glass one? just wanna know.

-brian

I'm sorry but this is simply not a revolutionary change like from 3.1 to 95. It's more like a big cosmetic makeover from the enduser point of view, except it's going to confuse the hell out of people who are a little shaky with XP. As a network admin I don't see any benefit for me or my users. And as for budget concerns, you may as well forget it. I just hope Microsoft doesn't repeat the broken promises of NT4 SP7 and W2K SP5 and they actually deliver on XP SP3. The way I see it, I will hopefully have another 5 years out of XP before I'm forced to upgrade everyone.

As far as my personal computer goes, yea I'll probably upgrade. I just can't get excited about much of anything MS is doing these days. It's sad too because I've always been a big Microsoft supporter since the days of DOS 3.3.

im sorry if i came off sounding rude. i guess what i need to do is actually test Vista myself, but unfortuneatly i cant. i dont have money to subscribe to the thingy and i dont want to give out my personal info. i heard however that if your invited in, you dont have the do that. but meh. ill see it in due time. anyway, id like to check it out, but yah... :blushing:

one question, how many different visual styles does Vista have other than the aero glass one? just wanna know.

-brian

No you did not sound rude. There are other colors for the themes but I do not have a graphic card that supports the new effects, so I am stuck with the one color.

RogueSpear, those are very good point and I do agree with you.

Edited by gunsmokingman

from a network admin point of view i can see vista looking not to good but think of some things taht it will be bringing to you. Network Access Protection, Updated GPOMC (~3000 options to adjust for vista) IP v4 and V6 for lan and Vlan consolidation if needed, New TCP/IP stack that allows for a new way for AV providers to hook into the stack for monitoring and prevention. There is alot that will be avialable from the network side, also quite a few tools that will be useful for end users. Windows Collaboration, windows backup and restore, faxing features( i know they have been around but better ones) just a few things that i see. Things i notice at work and from people i talk whether they be users or IT folk, there are many great features that are there just many don't even no they are there or just don't know how to use them. End user traing is especially useful in this case. but any way about vista. very smooth and runs decently well, for being a beta it optimizes itself VERY well, i can near similar preformance from a 1.86 P4m laptop to a 1.10 Centrino tablet, even for lower end systems the OS can run well enough to be survivable. even after loading Office and every app that our clients use.

But you see end user training is a very real consideration with Vista in the enterprise. Both at my main job and at every client I have or ever had, I cannot seem to get through to people the importance of training your users. There's the odd exception where they train one person for QuickBooks or something like that, but in general I deal with people who have used a computer 40 hours a week for the last 10 years and they still have no clue that there is even online help. This is obviously not Microsoft's fault, but it is their problem because when you upgrade operating systems there's always a certain amount of pain involved. And if the benefits don't even come close to making up for that pain, people won't upgrade.

So what happens is that unless I see a really major incredibly fantastic feature, there's little to no benefit in upgrading. I have my networks pretty hunkered down at this point so that nobody gets on unless their workstation proves it's up to date on patches, virus definitions, firewall protection, etc. And I'm sure I'm not alone there. It's kind of like Windows Server's builtin VPN functionality. Nobody in their right mind would implement a VPN solution using Microsoft's provided tools. It's probably not quite as clear cut with NAP, but similar.

I still don't understand why MS changed the Longhorn UI, it was much more cleaner then it is now. If you open Windows explorer you see everywhere a button, same is with the control panel. I know Vista is Beta, and I think MS will change this (I hope so). Otherwise Vista will look good but it will not be userfriendly.

i really enjoyed vista but now ... i've read so many critics ...

vista is just everywhere and is not even released! everybody is trying to emulate vista visuals and i must say i'm really tired ...

there were so much features that were finally removed from the dev process (aka winfs) ...

all i can say is that i'll try the final version but i don't know if it will be installed much time ...