Boot Delay in Windows 2K

I love windows 2000 but 1 of these is the boot delay where it say loading network settings and so forth. Is there a way to speed up booting in windows 2000?

Another thing that bothers me about windows 2000 is even though I am running 1 gb of ram and I set virtual memory to 0, I get a nag box to reset it higher. If I ignore it,windows will reset it automatically. Can I fix this?

dirt

no vitrual memory means when ever your memory usage spike above one gig, the computer is going to complain. unless you have like 2 gig i wouldn't turn off virtual memory, a** the loading network connection, in the control panel go into network connections, at the top choose advanced and then advanced settings, change the binding order so that your primary netowrk card is first and if you have a wireless card that is last, this should help that loading section.

@dirtwarrior

win2k lover's? if yes then same like me :thumbup

if you have a gigs of ram why didn't you disable the kernel paging? so they windows core will stay on memory rather than HDD, there were several registry hack and tweaksoft for this thing, and even nlite has em (on tweak section advance mode)

anyway i have made a pack of win2k gui hack (xp icon, toolbar etc) but i don't have interest with that thing for now (busy with my college works, delphi and visual basic programming, making database related application) so if you want it i can give it to you and then you can continue my works

At odd times my CPU usage will go up to 100%. And even if I have lots of memory left over I still get a nag.

I have 760 mb of ram left out of 1024 and it wont let me play a cd and serf at the same time :(. I used XP without paging with no problems.

2k would be the bomb if I can get it to boot faster, no nags about page file, and a few other minor things.

dirt

At odd times my CPU usage will go up to 100%. And even if I have lots of memory left over I still get a nag.

I have 760 mb of ram left out of 1024 and it wont let me play a cd and serf at the same time . I used XP without paging with no problems.

2k would be the bomb if I can get it to boot faster, no nags about page file, and a few other minor things.

this is why the reason why windows 2000 is not for gaming-use, it has a bug (which can't be fixed i think or M$ too lazy to fix it?) in virtual memory things, in otherhand M$ seem improve/fixed this on server and advance server edition of windows 2000 (who need it if you just a home user???)

HMMMM this was fixed in server edition but not in pro. Well maybe some simple dll changes maybe?

yes it fixed in win2k server/advance server/data center, this why some company still use win2k for server use :D

and rather than try to mess your windows, better grab a win2k server/advance server edition than go with nlite to customize it (removing server stuff and etc) and voila you got a stable version of win2k :D

i just remember about win2k3 conversion pack to xp, maybe we can do something like that in win2k

I prefer w2k pro, because you don't have to clean up so much - compared to server. and most free antivir complain about server. but which dll has to be replaced? perhaps before installing (using hfslip) or after install (using dualboot)...

thanx

maybe you can ask the people in Hotstream forum such as Gurgelmeyer (creator of Windows 2000 Unofficial Service Pack), he know much about win2k.

and maube he could make a patch version of that such dll on his next version USP

just watching win2k boot up it seems to me that it take a very long time to get the networking connections established.

i wonder how much difference there is between win2k and xp with the networking systems and could they be exchanged.

i've manually copied the xp ntldr and NTDETECT.COM into and installed win2k

and noticed a very slight improvement in boot times but i have no idea how to do this during an install.