Quick Question

citizeneman

alright, im done with the browseui.dll file.. read my PM for a download link

replace it by booting into real dos mode and copying the the new file over the old one in c:\windows\system\

I have 2 CONGRATULATE you with a BIG THANK U.I really appreciate it very much.

• 2 weeks later...

1 last thing guys

I wanna change all my default 98SE icons to all the default Windows XP icons. Is that

possible to do without a unofficial pack or a 3rd party app.

Thats all i want. No GUI change or nothing else just the icons.Please some1 help me out.

1 last thing guys

I wanna change all my default 98SE icons to all the default Windows XP icons. Is that

possible to do without a unofficial pack or a 3rd party app.

Thats all i want. No GUI change or nothing else just the icons.Please some1 help me out.

A resource editor and some time is what you need...

i'm not sure if i follow you

do you mean it doesn't show up the same as in winXP ? you don't see the high color depth 'buttons' ?

post a screengrab maybe ?

if i remember rightly, the 'large' toolbar 'strip' is a different size

so you have to resize/edit/touch-up the XP ones

also 24 or 32 bit doesn't work, but with clever Palette manipulation you can get the 'strip' down to 256 colours and it still looks good.

you can use a custom palette but its best to include the windows colours (i don't know about other apps but psp has this option)

the transparent background colour is 255, 0, 255 #FF00FF

one of the best ways to get a pallet is use Irfan view to reduce a pictures colour depth to 250 (* 256 minus the 16 windows colours that you put in later) custom colours using Floyd-Steinberg dithering

then copy the pic into psp (or an alternative) via the clipboard,

increase the colour depth to 24 bit,

decrease the colour depth to 256 colours (* including the windows colours),

have 'Nearest color' reduction method ticked (if available)

this kind of palette manipulation is the key to doing good looking pics in these types of situations without increasing the resource 'load'

alternatively you could insert your own creations and designs

many people prefer a minimalist style with even less colour.

another old trick (for those that like the 9X style icons) is to insert copys of the existing colour 'strips' into the positions of the existing grey ones so that the toolbar buttons are no longer grey all the time except when in a 'mouse over' or 'clicked' state.

that is, if i remember rightly.

this is all assuming is all your going for a 'minimum resources' type hack.

Edited by miko

are you sure you replaced the 256 color ones and not the 16 color ones which come first in the resource list.

(these are only shown in low color screen modes) and your desktop should be in High or True color mode to see the new ones.

in browseui the first (of 4 256 color 'strips') you want to replace is number 265 (which is normally grey) i never used to bother with the 16 color 'strips' because i had no interntion of working in low color screen modes where they would be seen.

you have to replace the grey ones with new the colour ones as well for the full XP effect.

otherwise you new ones will only show up in 'mouse over' and 'clicked' states.

top page to save for reference -

http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/hacklist.html

Edited by miko