7-Zip 4.38 beta Released

keytotime

Well he shaved 30k off the installer but my biggest complaint about 7Zip (and I bug the author from time to time) is that he never releases 7Zip as a "final" build, we're always in a perpectual beta.

I'd like to point out that home users don't care, but companies wishing to deploy an app are not fond of deploying a "beta" build. Hopefully v4.20 will be a "final" build.

Well he shaved 30k off the installer but my biggest complaint about 7Zip (and I bug the author from time to time) is that he never releases 7Zip as a "final" build, we're always in a perpectual beta.

I'd like to point out that home users don't care, but companies wishing to deploy an app are not fond of deploying a "beta" build. Hopefully v4.20 will be a "final" build.

This page says that v4.32 is "stable". AFAIK, the linux kernel never gone "final"...

The same page says also v4.39 is out... :thumbup

I bet nobody but you want a "final" version... 'coz it'll mean "dead" -OR- "perfect"... and perfection is so boring... :wacko:

:hello:

AFAIK, the linux kernel never gone "final"...
Didn't your mother ever ask you "If all of your friends jump off of a bridge would you follow?"
I bet nobody but you want a "final" version... 'coz it'll mean "dead" -OR- "perfect"... and perfection is so boring...
There is/was a real reason why things are labelled 'alpha','beta' and 'final' (aka non beta). Anybody that thinks beta means 'new', 'hot' & 'must use' have totally missed the concept and I guess we can blame Google for starting this mindset. Final (aka non beta) absolutely does not mean done, it merely means all the features in the current software are finished, tested and reliable.

Anybody who versions their software in a perpetual beta is using it as a crutch so they have an excuse why something may not work.

Edited by travisowens

There is/was a real reason why things are labelled 'alpha','beta' and 'final' (aka non beta). Anybody that thinks beta means 'new', 'hot' & 'must use' have totally missed the concept and I guess we can blame Google for starting this mindset. Final (aka non beta) absolutely does not mean done, it merely means all the features in the current software are finished, tested and reliable.

Maybe i didn't express correctly... or maybe i don't understand the english words "final" & "stable" correctly (their translations are "finale" & "stable").

But, what you're saying (mainly « all the features in the current software are finished, tested and reliable ») is, for me, not the definition of "final", but the definition of "stable".

IMHO "final" also means that nothing more is to be added.