[Question] Details about svchost ?

L&M

Having multiple instances of Svchost running is absolutely normal.

Each instance is running another service for you.

Don't fuss with them and never shut one off.

AMD X2? What's that got to do with Svchost?

Nothing actually!

Andromeda ;)

Disable unused services and your memory usage will go down as well as the number of svchosts running.

My XP Pro machine normally has 17 processes running, I think only 4 of them are svchosts and none of them take as much memory as the one you have. The maximum I've seen is 10Mb from one of them.

Normal is different for every system - and 50MB used in a svchost.exe process isn't all that bad, so I guess you could consider it normal (although with only 5 hours of usage since install, it'd be hard to say what's normal and what's not).

If you want to reduce memory, reduce running services and unnecessary startup processes - this will do more to reduce the memory footprint of a running Windows machine than almost anything else (short of using nLite).

Andromeda43 , ripken204 , LLXX And cluberti ThaaaaaaaaaaaaaaX :)

exeactly what i want to know if 50MB is normal or not , coz i have another PC

The Max of svchost is 30MB only .

ThX ALL :):hello:

Hey,,

Well, to me 50MB and even 30MB is a bit high. Sounds like some service has a possiable memory leak or is using more memory than it should.

You can easly find out what service is really eating all that ram which just so happens to be using the svchost.exe serivce.

Here is how:

http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archiv.../12/464077.aspx

Take Care,

Will

I can say that most svchost.exe services cannot be broken out into different services easily, and some not at all (the only easy one is winmgmt). The easiest ways to determine which process in svchost.exe is using the most process space is to 1) run perfmon with threads (download perfwiz.exe from microsoft.com) or 2) use userdump or adplus to get a dump of the svchost that is consuming all of the memory, and walk through it with windbg or cdb.

You can tell which actual svchost.exe is the one with the most memory usage by executing the following command:

tasklist /svc

And note that if you don't see large increases of memory usage in the svchost.exe process over time (it may grow, but it will always come back down eventually), it isn't leaking.

Edited by cluberti