Native USB Revisited

If you are using "Maximus Decim Native USB", unplug the USB drive is more efficient by right-clicking the Removable Disk in Windows Explorer and in the drop-down menu then click Eject. Not only it is faster, but for most of the thumbdrives the LED will go off.

However, When we do it that way, Windows will come up with "Unsafe Removal of Device" popup, which is annoying. In order to avoid it, as it behaves in Windows XP, you can do a small patch as I described here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605&st=116

Furthermore, the hotplug icon in the system tray does not look very good, because it only has 16 color in 16 x 16 matrix. If you have enabled your EXPLORER.EXE for 256 color, and have Resource Hacker, you might give XP style Hotplug icon a try. What you need to do is replacing Icon Group 100 in HOTPLUG.DLL and Icon Group 210 in SYSTRAY.EXE with the one I attached herewith.

Now the last words, I can guarantee nothing about the changes and I am not responsible for this patch. It works great for me though. So if you decide to do it, the risk is fully yours.

HotplugXP_98.zip

• 3 weeks later...

oh. tnx but where should i put this icon? anyone, help me please...

I believe Wijono answers that question here...

What you need to do is replacing Icon Group 100 in HOTPLUG.DLL and Icon Group 210 in SYSTRAY.EXE with the one I attached herewith.

I use a different generic USB driver (UMSS) that doesn't even have the Safely Remove Icon, all I need to do is unplug it. I think having to eject the device manually is a moot point, since Windows won't write-cache removable devices. Just don't pull it out while it's writing/reading.

I use a different generic USB driver (UMSS) that doesn't even have the Safely Remove Icon, all I need to do is unplug it. I think having to eject the device manually is a moot point, since Windows won't write-cache removable devices. Just don't pull it out while it's writing/reading.

bad idea LLXX. removing a usb device while it is reading and/or writing isnt really recommended, especially if there are applications that are using the usb device. doing this while an app is accessing a usb device can crash the program, or maybe the windows system. I've had that happen a few times and had to reset the PC to get things back to normal. best to wait until the usb device is finished reading/writing, then shut down the program that uses the usb device and then disconnect the usb device.