Avoid Drivers Request

liquidator87

Is there any way I can remove the request of the drivers when a device is plugged? I mean the wizard that begins saying "Connect to WinUpdate? Yes, only this time. Yes, everytime. No".

That's because I cannot preload the drivers before the device is plugged, so the only way to do this silently is removing the request, and then install the drivers after the device is recognized. Any solution?

You can use my program. You could use it like 'hardware.exe Install' in "Unattended On" mode (it's use is for unattended cds but it will fit your case) it should set the path to drivers (where you have drivers for your unplugged device) into registry.. so when Windows detects new device it will first try to find drivers by itself. So if you have drivers in pure format in that dir Windows shouldn't ask you about it. If Windows have problems with those drivers it asks you about it. Hope that helps.

Edited by MadBoy

I get an error on the second step of the app: it fails in the search of the directory. The drivers are in E:\Drivers. In the ini I inserted

Unattended_cd=Off

Drivers_drive=REMOVABLE

Drivers_dir=\Drivers

Device_manager=On

Method=RegistryDevicePath

and it gives me an error

Sure, it will give you an error :) You haven't been carefull reader. REMOVABLE should be used when drivers are on USB DEVICE. For example i have a USB PEN that i insert to computer. It has Drivers dir on it. On each computer USB device can be mounted on diffrent letter. When you set Drivers_drive to REMOVABLE it will autodetect that letter. IN your case you should probably use like where E:\Drivers is a directory where you have driver for your device.

Drivers_drive=E

Drivers_dir=\Drivers

U can also use CDROM if drivers are on CDROM (and the path is CDROM:\Drivers) .. remember that you have to set that corretly. Else it won't realy make sense.

what device are you trying to add the drivers for?

Try this:

Copy the driver files to c:\windows\inf\mydriver

open registry go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

edit DevicePath key

Currently it is probably %systemroot%\inf

change it to %systemroot%\inf;%systemroot%\inf\mydriver

Not sure if a reboot is required but it may be. Also if the driver has been installed before you want to remove the associated oemxx.inf from the windows\inf directory. either search for text in the file like the CAT file name or a driver file name or just delete all of them if you like.

Now plug in the device and give it a shot.

Edited by IcemanND

@IceMan .. it's exactly what Hardware.exe should do for liquidator. Unless he is doing something wrong. He can also have drivers in some other, non pure .inf format. Then that won't realy work.

Is there any way I can remove the request of the drivers when a device is plugged? I mean the wizard that begins saying "Connect to WinUpdate? Yes, only this time. Yes, everytime. No".
Yes you can get rid of that one. Here's how:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Don't search Windows Update for drivers (when new HW detected)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

You know to use registry tweaks? If not, then what you need to do is:

1. copy & paste the above code into notepad.

2. Save with file-name "drvr.reg" (note the extension - its NOT *.txt, it should be *.reg)

3. Double-click it to apply manually.

4. To apply it unattended, use this command in your unattended install:

regedit /S <PATH-TO-FILE>\drvr.reg

Do post back with your results!

Yes you can get rid of that one. Here's how:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Don't search Windows Update for drivers (when new HW detected)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

You know to use registry tweaks? If not, then what you need to do is:

1. copy & paste the above code into notepad.

2. Save with file-name "drvr.reg" (note the extension - its NOT *.txt, it should be *.reg)

3. Double-click it to apply manually.

4. To apply it unattended, use this command in your unattended install:

regedit /S <PATH-TO-FILE>\drvr.reg

Do post back with your results!

Can this be totally automated to prevent the popup GUI & auto search windows for the pre installed drivers, eg find a usb device after windows is installed ua & install the included driver.

Cheers

MC.

• 2 weeks later...

@prathapml

thanks, this should work for me. But now I need another information. The device is not already listed in the hardware list, so I should "emulate" the action that "check for new hardware" does... the problem is that the device is connected, but not listed, and is recognised only when I click on the "check for new hardware"... maybe there's a winmessage or a api call...

Edit: I've just tried the regtweak, but it seems to do nothing... the wizard show up as usual... I think the only solution is to add manually the device to the list, but... the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB is locked... I cant add any information under that key... any idea to enable this?

Edited by liquidator87