Sun Java problem

I'm installing Sun Java 2 SE RE 5.0 update 6 using:

jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=All AUTOUPDATECHECK=0 IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 MOZILLA=1 SYSTRAY=0 WEBSTARTICON=0

Whenever a Java Applet is trying to load in IE (6), IE suddenly close all open windows and I get a java error report file on desktop. (See attachment)

Someone please help me out figure what's going on...

hs_err_pid3800.rar

Maybe this is too simple. End quotes?

Or I wonder if it can be something with the new version. I'll try it out on one of my machines and see if I get similar results. For now it's off to bed with me. If you figure it out, it'll be nice to know what it is. I've still been just having 5.04 installed myself and I know it's time to go with the latest.

Hi ;)

Why still using the original installer exe ? I prefer using the msi extracted by the installer, here's my switch:

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /VE /D "Java Sun v1.5.0.06" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\013 /V 1 /D "%cdrom%\SOFT\Java\J2SEUp6.msi /qb-! Custom=1 AddLocal=ALL IExplorer=1 Mozilla=1 Javaupdate=0 Reboot=Suppress" /f

If you don't want mozilla (firefox) plugin, delete it from commandline.

Boardbabe, do you have the April ActiveX update installed? If so, it may be wise to download/install userdump.exe from the Microsoft site, then configure it to dump IE:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q241215

You'll notice that Sun's JVM is listed in the KB for the April ActiveX update as an application that is known to have issues post ActiveX install:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

I've seen this many times before, unfortunately, since the release of this update. I'm not sure there's an update yet from Sun, but most ActiveX applets loaded via the JVM using the Object tag cause the jvm to send a close request to IE after AV'ing. I'm not sure if this is the same, but the userdump dump of IE closing will probably shed some light, if you can gather that data.

The affected JVM versions are 1.3 and 1.4 according to the KB article. 5.0 (aka 1.5) is said to be unaffected. Besides, the issue mentioned is completely different from the one BoardBabe has brought up.

Ryan, the KB article is not entirely correct. 1.3 and 1.4 are listed, but I can verify that 1.5 b6 is affected as well. I'm sure it'll be updated soon, as we've just come across this recently that 1.5 is affected.

Edited by cluberti

Guys, would you mind try reprodusing this error?

Try open URL www.norsk-tipping.no, on the left hand side you will se a menu, click "Mine spill" at the very top, more items appear, click one of the below eg. "+ Mine spill", a java console opens and immediatly closes IE and produces the sun java error log (at desktop) at my system.

I'd love to, but:

Network Error (gateway_error)

An error occurred attempting to communicate with an HTTP or SOCKS gateway.

The gateway may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

When connecting to your site.

Considering that I don't know what it is I'm reading, I "think" it worked for me without any errors. I'm going to see if maybe I can make a Camtasia movie so you can see for yourself.

EDIT: Ok, here it is. You may need to download the TechSmith Screen Capture Codec from here to view this. Keep in mind I use Maxthon, but it is based on Internet Explorer so it should crash in the same fashion as IE if something goes wrong. I'm not crashing and there's no Java error log on the desktop as is customary with a JavaVM problem. Maybe this will tell you something.

http://www.earlymorninghours.net/Stuff/Untitled.avi

Edited by RogueSpear

Yep thank you that's the one. You passed it fine when the OK and "Avbryt" (cancel) buttons appeared. A few secounds after that page loads at the very point you see the java logo, IE closes all open windows and the error report is generated.

I've tried now with sun java 1.3 1.4 and 1.5, the same thing happens.

Same for me with KB912945 installed, page is launched, ... certificate, and then IE crashed and close all opened window and create logfile on the desktop. I've tried without kb912945 and no problem occurs (with IE). So this problem is due to kb912945.

KB912945 seems to be a real buggy update from MS :realmad:

Edited by cyberyeye

We'll see what happens with the IE cumulative update they're releasing today which will also include the changes introduced with KB912945.

And this very well may be a Sun JVM issue requiring them to release an updated version. Blindly blaming MS with no real knowledge of the root cause of the problem is counterproductive. Moreso, it's more Eolas' fault than MS' fault if KB912945 is to blame after all.

Edited by RyanVM

Ryan is absolutely correct - this isn't an "update" to IE, per se, it's a "behavior modification" caused by the Eolas patent lawsuit that was lost. If you want to blame someone, blame Eolas (or the patent system) - Microsoft is doing what it has been court-ordered to do.

A real solution would be to not use ActiveX controls at all, but I doubt people will stop using them anytime soon in webpages.