Microsoft Plus 98

PROBLEMCHYLD

I just got my Microsoft plus98 in the mail yesterday.

I want to make a USP with the Diskclean up add-ons 1.2mb and Maintenance wizard 0.1mb

These tools are useful if u don't already have a similiar tool.

I need 2 Know if this is legal and the tools I need to get started.

This will b my 1st project if its legit.

I'm not a lawyer but I think the only way it would be within the bounds of the software use license you purchased by buying the cd would be to only use the software yourself on only one computer being used. That, or selling or giving it away to someone else and removing it from your computer and not making any copies.

As far as the programs themselves, those that you mentioned are what I always uncheck when doing an installation of the Plus! 98 Pack. The screensavers and games are cool, but those disc and registry utilities were old parts of McAfee (after they bought Cybermedia) programs that at one time long ago were useful but now are kind of dangerous. They were designed before Office 2000 and many Internet Explorer technologies. They will recommend as being safe to remove many registry entries that are not connected, but will be connected when called for. And I wouldn't use the version of McAfee VirusScan on there either.

Really, folks are better off with CrapCleaner or jv16powertools than running that old stuff. Newer programs are aware of what should be left orphaned, as they won't be orphaned when called for by programs. Deleting what that old stuff tells you is safe will break things.

Also, some files installed by that Cybermedia stuff actually cause havoc. There's a KB article about how to fix Windows after it will no longer startup after a defragment caused by some of McAfee/Cybermedia stuff being installed. It was fixed in later versions, but now even the last versions of those utilities can destroy Windows just by being installed. Since McAfee discontinued their utility programs there were many updates to 9x OS files and other stuff that these programs just can't deal with.

Lot's of us also use 98SE2ME, installing many Windows Me system files. Windows Me was brought to its knees by McAfee utility programs.

So, if you use the Plus! 98 pack, as I do, please do a custom install and uncheck any of those helper aps it includes. Just install the screensavers, themes, and games. Just trying to save you a format!

I'm at my parents now this weekend, so I can't post anything. :( I can post something when I return home. To let you know ahead of time, I won't include the actual MS files, but I will post the inf/reg files.

sooooo sorry i didnt respond, but it does work, and very well at that! thank you so much beaker! :thumbup i dont know where youll want to go from here. but it does work very well! thank you again! :w00t:

-brian

Edited by brian10161

Excellent work, beaker. Could you post inf/reg files and the list of required files here? Otherwise, I think you'll get a lot of requests for them.

If for whatever reason you can't/won't, could you please send them to me via Private Message?

Edited by bristols

bristols, I don't want to violate any licensing agreements by posting MS files. I'll post the settings and installation files I've created tonight.

timeless, I'm curious to see what you've done for comparison. I can't download anything at work, but I'll look tonight.