Micro ATX

chrno2004

I've got a Micro ATX (aka Small form factor) motherboard. There are 3 spare PCI slot and I'll like to a network card to it. But standard network card just seem to be too large. Does anyone know if there's small form factor version of the network card specifically for Micro ATX motherboard?

Thanks!

Edited by chrno2004

It's an IBM Netvista Slimline version. Yes it's PCI slot and yes it'll work when you plug it in. Problem is because it's a different form factor, the 3Com network card is sticking out (about 3-4cm). So there's impossible to put the casing back. Hence, I was wondering if there's a different form format for Micro ATX ...

The problem is with the case, not the MicroATX motherboard.

As you already know, PCI cards will work just fine in your booard. There are no PCI cards built specifically to fit the small cases used with some MicroATX boards.

About all you can do is shop around for a small NIC that will fit in the case.

The problem is with the case, not the MicroATX motherboard.

As you already know, PCI cards will work just fine in your booard. There are no PCI cards built specifically to fit the small cases used with some MicroATX boards.

About all you can do is shop around for a small NIC that will fit in the case.

or another case...

There are low-profile NICs? Strange... all the ones I've ever bought were rather shorter than full-height. It must be some manufacturers always using the low-profile design.

Intel has been doing it for years. Some 2U rack-mounted servers use them (if they don't have a riser card). Those are usually 64-bit PCI/PCIX cards though. The one I linked for him above is a standard 32-bit PCI desktop card. :)

You can even find low-profile SATA RAID controllers. I've got one in my work system (although I'm using it with the full-height bracket).