win me service pack

chrisblack

I've just done a reinstall of Win Me...

To save me downloading all the packs at home on my poxy dial-up, is there anywhere I can download all the Service Pack files to burn to CD, and take home???

I've seen mention of an unnoficial service pack... is that still available anywhere???

Thanks

Chris

In this and many other forums, polls have been taken asking what's the worse OS.

ME comes out on top every time, so here's my question:

Why did you decide to re-install ME? (sorry, I'm just being nosey)

Stepping back to 98/SE or going forward to XP would have surely been a better choice.

Windows 98/SE with the unofficial service pack 2 is a pretty good OS for older machines with limited Resources and of course XP is great for newer systems with Ample Resources. ME just don't fit in the equasion any more.

Just Curious

Cheers,

Andromeda

The reason I reinstalled ME is -

The laptop (K62 500, 96mb ram) I reinstalled on, isn't actually mine - it was given on long term loan by a friend, who may want it back at some stage (highly unlikely though) but therefore would want it as it was (ME)...

I'd been running Edubuntu on it for a while, as the laptop was being used by the kids, but because "all our friends use windows" I was pressured into putting back Windows....

I've got other pc's running 98SE / 2000 & XP.... and as the laptop originally came with ME, why not reinstall it.

I've also got a system restore CD for it (which I can't get to work at all), which has a ghost image on (*.gtg - anyone familiar with this format and how to use it)..... Apparently there should be a hidden partition with part of the image on, but I can't find it, and may have wiped it accidently when installing Edubuntu...

Lot of waffle there, but I think you can see why I went back to ME.

Chris

i liked windows me, ran good on my PII 366 dell. im using 98SE with the SP2 thingy and it runs just the same imo. but also, os's run differently on different computers. makes sense, dont it? :blink:

-brian

I have a lot of customers who still have PC's with ME on them.

I very seldom advise them to upgrade. The resources for XP vastly overshadow those for ME. :}

So, I've found ways to make ME less offensive and more productive.

The main thing is to shut down that horrible restore feature and delete the thousands of files it's already created. My worse case scenerio, was a PC with over 150,000 restore files on it.

That really loads down a HD and can even fill it till it crashes.

There's a great little program called "ME Restore Remover". I use it often.

Then I install my performance tweaks and ME begins to run half way decent. Better than new, actually. :thumbup

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Andromeda ;)