Sunday Contest Attacks?

received email from my hosting provider today (we host there 3 dedicated servers, all windows),

they strongly advise to backup all data manually, as they taking some of their backup services offline for the time of the attack:

Please do not delay these procedures, as some of the services required for backing up your site may be taken offline as part of our defense strategy.  Please understand that we cannot be specific about what services will be taken offline, as disclosing this information to the public can increase our network vulnerability. 
:)

well, we'll see, i will hope for the best, and since my computer at home doesnt work, i wont be able to track the servers... :rolleyes:

the internet would be a good place if it weren't for hackers etc.. what is the point of doing such things?

Hackers are useful in a way...they show network administrators where their security is weak so they can patch the holes. I have personally engaged in harmless hacking in order to help system administrators find security holes. It's when they destroy valuable data/information that hackers cross the line, for example all the script kiddies are out to prove that they can gain access to systems, and to have some fun while they're at it destroying networks. A true hacker would only use their skills to prove that a system is insecure and to show where security needs to be improved.

I think the word hacker is being used wrong here. Every should know the difference between a hacker and a cracker.

Very different!

indeed.. hacking is illegal.. cracking isn't.. reverse engineering for instance..