[Advice] New Server for Business

averagecdn

Whatever you do, it is strongly advised [where possible] that if your looking to setup exchange in the organisation, that you have it on a seperate server to the domain controller.

Cant remember the exact reasons behind this off-hand, but check out http://msexchange.org [hope that link is right] for more info and advice.

There aren't any real technical reasons. Remember, Small Business Server runs everything on the same box. :)

The main reason for it is performance and security. There are some security settings you want to apply to your domain controllers that could break Exchange Server, and vice versa.

Not had the pleasure of SBS - forgot about that ;) but it is advised that you shouldnt run Exchange 2003 on a DC [minus Small Business Server 2003] if you can help it.

I was very tired lol ;)

Thanks

Nath.

Agreed. I never double up on anything if I can help it. I may have a web server that runs multiple sites...but that's all it's doing is running IIS and associated technologies like ASP.NET, PHP and/or ColdFusion (and maybe MSDE/2005 Express and/or MySQL if any of the sites require them). But, given the chioce I won't combine a web server and a file server on the same box.