Partitioning my 2GB usb key

MrChris

I searched the forum but didnt find much.

I have a 2GB usb Sandisk cruzer micro skined. I want to partition it with all its space but like 10mb or so. So i can use TrueCrypt to partition the rest. Windows XP Disk Manager does not seem to give me the option to partition it (just format it). I even tried paragon disk manager but It doesnt even see the usb key. Acronis Disk Director doesnt see the key either.

What can I use to create multiple partitions on my 2GB USB Key?

Thanks,

MrChris

Since Windows XP see's it as a Removable Device is there any utils that will allow me to create more than one partition on the usb key with out pustting data integerity at risk? Like maybe force windows to see it as a fixed disk? Maybe? :)

Thanks,

MrChris

Does your BIOS have the capability to mount USB drives as HDDs on bootup?

You can test this by plugging it in before turning on the computer. If the BIOS can, it should detect it and it should show up under the normal hard drive detection info, e.g.

Primary Master: WD1200JB-00EVA50
Primary Slave: WD1200JB-35CAA19
Secondary Master: Maxtor 91360D8
Secondary Slave: None
USB 3: EMETECH 512MB USB MASS STORAGE

This is what I get when I plug my generic USB drive in before turning on the computer, then it appears in Windows as an extra hard drive.

Edited by LLXX

Read here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14292

Unless you can change the Removable/Fixed bit via the manufacturer utility or the Hitachi Microdrive Filter, you will be limited to one partition under 2K/Xp.

@LLXX

USB STICKS controllers usually default as "Removable" (but with the right utility can be set as "Fixed")

USB DRIVES controllers ALWAYS default as "Fixed"

The above has NOTHING to do with BIOS, it's the Windows driver that questions directly the hardware.

jaclaz

@ jaclaz

Thanks for the reply.

Its a SanDisk Cruzer 2GB USB Micro. From what I have found/not found SanDisk does not make any utitilies that I was able to locate to change "Removable/Fixed bit". Will the "Hitachi Microdrive Filter" work on a SanDisk USB Drive? Where could one locate this software?

My System does not support booting of usb drive :angry:

Thanks,

@LLXX

USB STICKS controllers usually default as "Removable" (but with the right utility can be set as "Fixed")

USB DRIVES controllers ALWAYS default as "Fixed"

The above has NOTHING to do with BIOS, it's the Windows driver that questions directly the hardware.

jaclaz

USB mass storage devices mounted by the BIOS on my mobo have always been seen as Fixed, whether they are sticks or complete drives in an enclosure.

If the USB drive completely emulates a hard drive, then it can be partitioned.

Even floppies can be partitioned with a little bit of effort, so I don't think it's impossible to do the same with a USB.