[Question] Extracting Files >4GB

TerrorKiller

So I downloaded a 5.5GB DVD ISO Image. The file came in several 100mb .rar files and when I doubled clicked on anyone of them it brings up the full ISO File which I tried to extract, I started to extract it using WinRAR and around 70% (I guess it hit the 4GB mark) an error pops up telling me something along the lines that I must use NTFS to extract files over 4GB. So, Can someone tell me where I get NTFS or any other program and how to use it to extract my file?

The problem is not with the aplication you are using.

NTFS is a file system. More information about it here. You problably have your OS installed on a FAT32 file system, wich has a maximum file size of 4GB.

As for a way to bypass that, I do not know if there is any but I doubt it.

Edited by Gouki

Can someone tell me where I get NTFS

If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP you can convert the drive with the following command:

convert X: /FS:NTFS

Replaced X: with the drive to be converted. If this is your C: drive, I would recommend just backing everything up and reinstall choosing NTFS as the drive format during installation. The reason is because Windows 2000/XP apply different security settings to drives formatted with NTFS than they do drives formatted with FAT32. If this is any other drive then you can convert it withing any worries (you should still create a backup before converting the drive).

As for a way to bypass that, I do not know if there is any but I doubt it.
There's no way to bypass it. This is a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem. Edited by nmX.Memnoch

So I downloaded a 5.5GB DVD ISO Image. The file came in several 100mb .rar files

Wov , thats really huge!!! That too in 100 MB Rar files , have not heard any legal download site doing such a thing !!!! But i know it happens somewhere ;)

BTW , if you do not wish to convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS , you can do one more thing , which may be a little longer.

too keep it simple ,

if you have any FAT32 drive which is empty , or if you can shift all the data from one of your drives to the other drives ,

format it using NTFS ,

extract the file on this drive ,

delete the downloaded files ,

copy this file back to the other drive and format this drive to FAT32 again if you need FAT system or leave it as NTFS.

This should work i guess :)

copy this file back to the other drive

That's going to be impossible if the "other drive" is still FAT32. The problem isn't the application he's using to extract the file. The problem is that FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB. No matter how you slice it you cannot have a file larger than 4GB on a FAT32 formatted drive/partition.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch