MenuShowDelay Problem *IMPORTANT*

You probably noticed this problem if you read this post... It appends to me too but on MSFN web site (http://www.MSFN.org/win2k3/tweaks.htm), it gives the answer of this bug... BUT I also noticed a stability issue. Changing the delay to "8" or even by changing it to "50" isn't correcting the bug. Yuo can notice it by opening "add and remove" option in control panel. Even if you changed the value to "8", you will see for sure a strange delay before the list appears. FrameWorks 1.1 also get a huge lag. IIS get fatal errors sometimes.

So now, you should avoid to install famous "tweak" softwares because you will have to format your system. Remember that Windows 2003 Server is for server and not for tweaking. I read the post about the conversion (server to workstation). Windows 2003 is VERY different! Absolutly not the same as Windows XP! Be careful by using Windows 2003. Installing common applications can be bad for Win 2k3! :)

So now, you should avoid to install famous "tweak" softwares because you will have to format your system. Remember that Windows 2003 Server is for server and not for tweaking. I read the post about the conversion (server to workstation). Windows 2003 is VERY different! Absolutly not the same as Windows XP! Be careful by using Windows 2003. Installing common applications can be bad for Win 2k3! :)

No one said it was the same as WinXP, it's an upgrade to Windows 2000 Server which is very similar to Windows 2000-Professional. I've been using Win2k3 as a workstation for about a month, now, and it can be "tweaked". Granted, there are a fews drivers that's don't work, but some XP drivers do work. You have to experiment. Most, but not all, apps work fine under Win2k3.

Most are probably glad it's very different from WinXP. IMHO, Win2k is superior to WinXP. If Win2k is OS of choice for Steve Gibson, it's my choice, too!

I dunno.. I know it really messes up if you change it to zero.. but as for the Listing in the Add/Remove app, it lags just as much as it always has, same as when I used Win2k Pro. But the lag I get only lasts about 200ms, which isn't bad

My MenuShowDelay = 1

The "lag" will always be there until m$ releases a patch for it as i think it is a bug in the OS itself, the problem has been in existence since win2k, however, the tweak software may "reduce" the length of the lag, but i suppose that the effectiveness will vary from pc to pc

but here the question: Is it really a bug? Is it to avoid tweaking softwares to be installed? I also noticed a menu delay when removing some items in "New" option when clicking on the desktop (right click). This "bug" semms to be everywhere...!

The MenuShowDelay Tweak only affects displaying files and folders like items in the Start Menu and Favorites Menu. I don't think it was ever meant to speed up things in the Add/Remove Programs.