[Help] Sata HDD in XP Pro & XP Home

KamiQuazi

Ok, It starts...

Im Windows XP Pro Sp2, I can see my 200gb WD Sata Hdd, but in Windows XP Home I can't. All i can see is my 120gb hdd. When I installed Pro i could see it without driver but in Home i can't.... Help... The sata is my back-up drive...

:}

1) try to open computer management --> go to run and type compmgmt.msc (dont know if it's working on home)

if it's working go to disk management to see if your disk was recognized and see it's status etc

2) you could try to open a cmd and do a CHKDSK X: /F to see if there are any errors in your drive ( X = the letter of your drive )

so if there are any errors windows can fix it so you can acces the disk

if you want to only check for errors and not fix them run CHKDSK without /F

i dont know if home is using fat32 and not ntfs but if m3n70r is correct you can convert your disk with partition magic without loosing anything

the problem is that you have converted the disk to dynamic you can't acces dynamic disks on xp home

Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

i dont know if you can convert dybamic disks back to standar ntfs without formatting them

but you can try to convert it with partition magic

good luck :hello:

I didn't convert it to Dynamic. I installed the drive LLF it and paritioned it. XP Pro did the rest. Well, looks like some work for me ahead.

Thanks, any other suggestions welcomed

I didn't convert it to Dynamic. I installed the drive LLF it and paritioned it. XP Pro did the rest. Well, looks like some work for me ahead.

maybe you didnt convert it but as you can see in the disk management it is dynamic so... you wont be able to access it on xp home.

you will access the disk only if you find a way to convert it to simple ntfs

you could try partition magic as i told you before. it might convert it

or you could search in google for "convert dynamic disks to simple" or something like that

Warning: After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, local access to the dynamic disk is limited to Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Additionally, after you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, the dynamic volumes cannot be changed back to partitions. You must first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, you must first back up the data or move it to another volume.

Difference between Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP/2000/2003

paragon partition mananager can't do this ( as it's page says ) only the pro edition

there is demo version available for download

you could try it if you want

PROFESSIONAL AND SERVER EDITIONS ONLY:

Supports dynamic disks

Supports RAID

Convert Dynamic Disks to Basic Disks

Premium Maintenance

Upgrade Insurance - 1 year

Windows NT/2000/2003 Server and Windows PE support (Server Edition only)

Script Generator

Command Line Support

http://www.partition-manager.com/home/personal/features.htm

or read and try this :

http://thelazyadmin.com/index.php?/archive...asic-Disks.html

but i thing you have to find a way to back up the disk cause you can't be sure for nothing

anyway... good luck :thumbup:hello:

Edited by InViSibLe Gr