Remote Desktop connection

On the Windows client you would connect via command line using mstsc /v:servername /console and that will connect you to the console session of the server.

just out of curriosity, is there a GUI mode in which I could do the same as with the above command line? I find it really strange that MS wouldn't include such an option esspecially since Win is all GUIiiish and also my UBUNTU Linux has a GUI option for that

Actually you showed the command line which can be used to launch the Remote Desktop client, e.g. with a custom shortcut, what I said was that after launching the app manually you can interactively specify a console connection where you enter the servername.

That is the "GUI" way of doing it - as you have to enter the server name anyway it is just as easy to add " /console" there as it would to tick a box with "Use Console Connection" next to it (as I assume you are after, which does not exist).

but I get

"server name specified is invalid"

This works on Windows 2003, XP x64 & Vista - to get a console session on 2000 or XP you have to use the command line method as in your first post.

Re: your bet - well, technically "Windows" does have it in the versions made since 2002 ;)

Edited by Mr Snrub

so I was correct. On Windows XP,2000 theres no GUI way.

The reason I was asking this was because a friend of mine said that if LINUX has such an option thru GUI than WINDOWS 10000000% must have it.

So I've WON the bet. :)

Edited by BigDaddy

I'm not sure if I'm following this right, but....

Windows XP you can go Prog Files-Accessories-Communication-Remote Desktop Connection

Or just type MSTSC with no parameters

Windows 2000 you have to download RDC from, I think a WinXP/2k3 disc, or maybe Microsoft

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but it's GUI and it's MSTSC!

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but it's GUI and it's MSTSC!
The OP was after a way to establish a CONSOLE session (connection to session 0) through the Remote Desktop Client through the UI itself, not a "regular" TS session.

On Win2K & XP you have to use the command line, on 2003, XP x64 & Vista you can specify a console connection through the UI by adding " /console" after the server name to connect to.

• 3 weeks later...
On Win2K & XP you have to use the command line, on 2003, XP x64 & Vista you can specify a console connection through the UI by adding " /console" after the server name to connect to.

Any way to have the same behviour with Win2k & XP? Since its annoying having to always type:

mstsc /v:servername /console

When on different computers its quite annnoying

Any way to have the same behviour with Win2k & XP?
Not as far as I am aware, but I'll check it out.

Do you need a console connection always? Are the servers usually left logged in with an interactive applicaiton running or something?

on windows xp pro.. if you install the adminpak.msi off the windows 2k3 sever or DL it from the MS website.. there is a mmc called Remote Desktops. in here you can define your remote desktop connections and ALSO check a box that says log onto console