iTunes msi problem.

BoardBabe

RogueSpear, what did you use to edit the MSI?
Editting the MSI proved to be a "pain in da bum" so he created an entirely new MSI
Just for kicks I decided to try a good old fashioned repack
This is also how i package this app, works great.

shark

But what about the registry settings? Are you telling me you went through them one-by-one and added them to the pack? I was looking for a way to export registry settings from an already-made msi via InstallShield, but I couldn't find a solution. That's actually why I didn't pack my own MSI. I was waiting to see what Rogue had up his sleeve.

So yeah ... how DO you guys retrieve all of the registry info? Just export it before and after, then run FC before.reg after.reg or something similar?

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

I'm just running a standard 2 step snapshot in AdminStudio, then I clean up the mess it makes and rebuild it. If you supply me with the registry entries you'd like in there, with an explanation, I'll put them in. Usually the only stuff I like to change from default are things that tighten up the default security.

I don't like to repack installs that are already in .msi form, but sometimes that's just how you have to do it. Windows Live Messenger is one example of this are here with iTunes, we have another.

Yea but the default installer doesn't let you create an AIP or modify the settings too readily. The other part is file size. Making an installer usually results in a much smaller file size. With DVD's being so common, this is less of an issue, but I still run into so many computers with only a CD drive or it has a DVD drive so old it won't properly read my DVDs.

I'm just running a standard 2 step snapshot in AdminStudio, then I clean up the mess it makes and rebuild it. If you supply me with the registry entries you'd like in there, with an explanation, I'll put them in. Usually the only stuff I like to change from default are things that tighten up the default security.

I don't like to repack installs that are already in .msi form, but sometimes that's just how you have to do it. Windows Live Messenger is one example of this are here with iTunes, we have another.

Oh, I didn't want any custom settings. I was just referring to the default registry settings (see attachment).

post-56247-1141752341_thumb.png

They get entered when you run Apple's MSI. Since there is no export feature in InstallShield, I was wondering what you used to gather all of these (since I was sure you didn't browse through them one-by-one copying them into a .reg file or something ... that would take a good couple hours). But now I know ... you used AdminStudio. :)

Oh, and for future versions of iTunes, I could just edit your MSI to reflect the new version number, and then replace all of the files you have stored in those directories, right?

You could replace the .exe files, but you never know when Apple will add some new registry entries. I always just repack something from scratch when a new version comes out. Some of these things I practically do in my sleep now.

Some of these things I practically do in my sleep now.

Yep, I can see that's the best solution for you :D

I however need to learn that, hehe so until I have read about repacking and understand it, I believe autoIt is my "only" option.

• 1 month later...

:thumbup

Hi all,

My 2cents about this problem:

I also encountered the following error message when I was testing my Unattended Windows in VMWare. This message would come up every single time powerdvd was being silent installed:

"Windows Installer

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click on to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'iTunes.msi' in the box below.

Use source: d:\profiles\default user\7zsab3.tmp\"

Please see attached screen capture.

post-48534-1146533493_thumb.jpg

The "use source" above is a reference to my "documents and settings" folder which I have renamed to "profiles" in my Windows Image.

What I have done to resolve this issue was very simple: I just moved my 'itunes.msi' silent install to be the last place in my cmd batch file, so it will not install before any apps.

As far as I know and by extensive testing my virtual windows machine, all is working fine. However I think its possible that I will encounter the same error message when installating a different application later on. It just happens that in my case the problem was being caused during my "powerdvd" silent installation.

I've packed my "powerdvd" silent install by using info from this excellent tread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t48338.html

Thank you!

Edited by jfjunior

• 1 year later...

iTunes Installation And Previous version Removal Issue - iTunes.msi

I'm obviously not nearly as savvy as the rest of you, but I am also not completely inept... However, I'm having a problem with iTunes.msi, and this is one of the few places I found with a reference that felt even somewhat relevant. And, I'm interested in silent installs and other methods people are using.

Anyway. I'm trying to install the newest iTunes, 7.1, and I get to the part where I need to uninstall the old version of iTunes, when it asks me to find iTunes.msi. I've found several copies of it on my computer, but it does not accept -any- of them, and a new copy, as far as I could see, did not come with my download package, all I got was iTunesSetup.exe. The default directory that this gives is "C:\DOCUME~1\AZURES~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP684.TMP\" -- The AZURE part being the first bit of my username, assumedly, anyway. Of all the iTunes.msi I found, since I've tried this many times, there were 3 that had recent dates (within the last 3 months, most recent being May 10th of 2007), and I used the most recent one. It then gives me this error:

http://fake.swedma.com/img/image/4610_1180204854.jpg

I've added a screenshot of the error screen and install screen, both as a url and as an attachment (56KB) above.

I would really, really like to get this working, but, I would also accept my fate if someone could reccommend a solid player, preferrably one that streams (terminology weak) the songs from the file and does not load it all at once (creating bits of lag within things like games and such), like iTunes does. I tried Winamp, but don't like its playlist building and bits of the interface, and I tried SongBird, but that is so far in the beta stage, that it really isnt usable in the background, being prone to crashes and general disfunctionality. Also, it loads the songs the same way as iTunes does, only with even less smoothness.

I've just been aquiescing to this for a while now, but it's really begun to get to me. If anyone could, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm hosting a small LAN today, so I may not (actually, it's likely) be able to be very prompt in responses, but I shall definitely try. Thankyou, for everything, anything. Also, sorry for the age-old bump, but, again, this seemed the most relevant.

~Matt.-

post-140689-1180205158_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is always my friend when I encounter some problems with installations in other computers I provide service to.

Edited by ajua