Moveing Documents And Settings on installation.

Hi

I've manage to find a way to move Documents And Settings to another drive using CMD but i have an error.

Here's what i have done.

cmdnow @ /HID

echo off

for %%a in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%a:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%

Set MYDOC=%%a:\Documents And Settings\%USERNAME%

SET KEY=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

; SET KEY Needs to point to Reg Entry[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders]

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S AppData"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Application Data"

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S Cookies"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Cookies"

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S Desktop"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Desktop"

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /V 4 /D "REGEDIT /S Favorites"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Favorites"

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 5 /D "REGEDIT /S NetHood"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\NetHood"

REG ADD %KEY%\006 /V 6 /D "REGEDIT /S Personal"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\My Documents"

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /V 7 /D "REGEDIT /S PrintHood"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\PrintHood"

REG ADD %KEY%\008 /V 8 /D "REGEDIT /S Recent"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Recent"

REG ADD %KEY%\009 /V 9 /D "REGEDIT /S SendTo"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\SendTo"

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 10 /D "REGEDIT /S Start Menu"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Start Menu"

REG ADD %KEY%\011 /V 11 /D "REGEDIT /S Templates"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Templates"

REG ADD %KEY%\012 /V 12 /D "REGEDIT /S Programs"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Start Menu\\Programs"

REG ADD %KEY%\014 /V 14 /D "REGEDIT /S Startup"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup"

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 15 /D "REGEDIT /S Local Settings"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Local Settings"

REG ADD %KEY%\016 /V 16 /D "REGEDIT /S Local AppData"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Local Settings\\Application

Data"

REG ADD %KEY%\017 /V 17 /D "REGEDIT /S Cache"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet

Files"

REG ADD %KEY%\018 /V 18 /D "REGEDIT /S History"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Local Settings\\History"

REG ADD %KEY%\019 /V 19 /D "REGEDIT /S My Pictures"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\My Documents\\My Pictures"

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 20 /D "REGEDIT /S My Music"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\My Documents\\My Music"

REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 21 /D "REGEDIT /S CD Burning"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Local Settings\\Application

Data\\Microsoft\\CD Burning"

REG ADD %KEY%\022 /V 22 /D "REGEDIT /S My Video"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\My Documments\\My Videos"

EXIT

Now the problem is in the REG ADD lines. I'm getting the errors which is:

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S AppData"="%MYDOC%\\Documents and Settings\\%MYDOC%\\Application Data"

Error: Too many command-line parameters :(

Can anyone please help?

Many Thanks

Worf.

P.S. This part works For %%a in (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%a:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%

It scans the drives finds documents and setting\username. :D

Edited by Worf

First thing, you shouldn't use this way to set the mydoc variable

because you can't be sure, that this really is your profilepath.

You should better use the environment variable %Userprofile%

Set MYDOC=%USERPROFILE%

Other thing is, I wonder, why you use the %MYDOC% to times in the path?

In any case, the error comes up, because there are spaces in the path to your profiledirectory, so regedit takes them as different parameters. To avoid this, enclose the path in "triple double quotes"

"Appdata"=""""%MYDOC%\\Application Data""""

Edited by Doc Symbiosis

Hi

I've manage to find a way to move Documents And Settings to another drive using CMD but i have an error.

Why not set it to a particular location during install as opposed to moving it afterward?

Now the problem is in the REG ADD lines. I'm getting the errors which is:

Error: Too many command-line parameters :(

Two obvious issues here, IMHO. One, you aren't backquoting; and two the expansion of the variables.

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S AppData\"=\"%MYDOC%\\Application Data"

should be closer to what you are trying. Your original code (assuming %MYDOC%="C:\Documents and Settings\User") would expand to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Documents and Settings\C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data which I am certain is not what you are after,

Ultimately, per MS, the way to move Docs and Settings is in pre-installation http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314843/