Partitioning Help

leedolman

I've recently formatted my HD and reinstalled XP. I created a partition during the setup, so I have a drive with backup files and my main storage area. I now want to create another partition, so that i have one for backup, 1 for system files and 1 for documents. is there anyway to create a new partition or will I have to reformat and create the partitions that way?

thanks

You won't need to reformat if you use software such as Powerquest's PartitionMagic 8 or Acronis' Partition Expert 2003. Unfortunately, PM8 is a demonstration only (changes won't take effect) and Partition Expert doesn't have a trial download.

edit: Actually it does, I'm blind! http://www.acronis.com/download/partitionexpert/ (but also another demo :) )

Im assuming that u hav assigned all of the available space on ur drive to the partitions that u hav already created? Well if thats the case, then follow aaron's advice. If u still got unallocated space, then u should b able to use the winxp computer management tool (in your administration tools in control panel) to define and format another partition. This eliminates the need to download any software to resize partitions etc...BUT if u need to resize partitions, then u should follow aaron's advice

Hmmmm...Have you tried using "Drive Management" in Windows? I've used a few times now and it works great! :) You can define the sizes, the file system, the drive letter, etc...Dunno why no one has ever suggested this...

• 1 month later...
Hmmmm...Have you tried using "Drive Management" in Windows?  I've used a few times now and it works great! :) You can define the sizes, the file system, the drive letter, etc...Dunno why no one has ever suggested this...

It is not possible to change the size of partitions using the drive management feature under windows, to do this you will need an unformatted drive to do this, to partition a formatted drive you need a third party tool to achieve this..such as partition magic..

Sunil