Athlon 2800+ frequency

DMB Fan

Back again about this new PC, I am in tweak mode with it now.

Brief specs: A7N8X rev2.0

Athlon 2800+ 333FSB

Corsair PC 2700 RAM (512 MB)

The board came with the bus frequency set at 100, and when accompanied by a multiplier 12.5, I hope we all know we arrive at a chip frequnecy of 1250 MHz. I changed the bus frequency to 166 and keeping the same multiplier (which was the default), we now have a chip frequency of 2078 MHz or 2.08 GHz. I know the 2800+ chip is supposed to run at 2.25 GHz, which translates into keeping the bus at 166, and changing the multiplier to 13.5. Here's the kicker...when I changed the multiplier to 13.5 and kept everything else the same...it resulted in a chip frequency of 914 MHz. WTF :) (I have obtained a chip frequencies from the Windows+Break key combo).

Any insight I could borrow from someone would be appreciated.

The BIOS screen flows by too fast to read the CPU frequency....I haven't installed CPUID yet to check it. I'll have to check it tonight when I get out of work....Which today is my last day, leaving NYC and moving to warmer weather. wooohoo!

There are some versions of the Athlon XP which run at a significantly lower speed then they are supposed to. Read the top corner of the CPU package and see what the actual speed is supposed to be.