[Question] PSU & Video card

jago_lfn

I'm currently looking to upgrade my video from onboard geforce 6100 graphics ( pretty solid for being intergrated) to either a pci express 6600 Gt or 6800 GS. My problem is that i only have the money for the card and cant afford to buy an expensive power supply. I currently have a 300W and from looking around at the 6800's i see most require a min of 450W. So am i stuck with just the 6600Gt or does it require heavy power useage as well? I don't play quake 4 and newer games like that. Only new game I'm playing would be sims 2 + expansions and mostly older games like nfsu2 and bf1942/vietnam. If i could just get by with the 6600gt then that'd be great but I'd like to have the best i can get for the price without having to do a major case/psu overhaul.

First off, you should ignore those wattage recommendations since they are complete fallacy. As far as PC power supplies go, name brand means a lot more than wattage rating. The 6800gs will use ~55 watts in 3d mode, and the 6600gt is probably very close to that.

You havent listed your full system specs so it makes it more difficult to say, but if you have a quality PSU like a Fortron, you might be able to get away with it. If you have some generic PSU then you can probably count on having problems and having to upgrade the PSU as well.

Edited by ssmokee

I'm running a generic psu. my specs are:

Athlon 64 3400+

MSI K8NGM2-L

2x 512 PC3200 Dual Channel

1x Seagate 80GB PATA

1x Seagate 200GB PATA

1x Samsung DVD-RW

Creative SB Audigy PCI

Everythings running good. the fan on the PSU blows almost cool air just slightly warm at full load.

ok now i need some recommendations for a powersupply. Any chances of getting a good one under $30? I've only got 200 to spend from income tax and probably wont have cash for something like this till the end of the year so if i can get a PSU and a decent vid card all within that range that would be awesome.