Windows Defender

rakem

Does anyones version of windows defender close to the system tray? or when windows starts up is it automatically in the system tray?

I have installed it on my home computer and work and on both its not in the system tray so Im never sure if its running or not. it is set to start automatically, if i go to msconifg it is in the startup items with a -hide extention.

Just wondering if this is a possible bug or if this is how its supposed to be?

for the first post mine dosent go to the sys tray either

my problem is that i got windows defender and i liked it exept it always changed my homepage to

" a addware program hass changed your homepage" so i wanted to un installl it but it dident have a uninstaller. so i just deleted all the files in the folder. after i restarted i tried to download sumthing as soon as the download was finished it would do nothing and the downloaded file wouldent apeer anywere.

can some one please help me because i cant download anything to fix it .

tong-b@bigpond.net.au

yea i think its a bit buggy, i have been getting alot of erros. And for my work computers we use WSUS to update windows and defender doesnt seem to work to well with that since it uses windows update to update.

Also where are the features that Microsoft Antispyware has? like the tracks eraser and browser restore? I hope microsoft will release are more functional full version

Just for your info ...

Windows Defender doesn't come with a System Tray icon. This is by design. The word is that this option will be included in a later build.

Regarding uninstalling: it should show in Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs as 'Windows Defender'.

Regards

Ok .

1. Windows Defender has been built as something which shall be included in Vista as an in OS feature.

2. It wont be running as an App. any longer , but as a service which shall oversee everything that shall be happening in the system.

3. As with the other components of your system , it wont be showing up in yor tray all the time , rather it shall appear in the tray as a notification for some unwarranted or rather suspicious change and take your commands on what to follow. Meaning , that instead of being in the tray all the while, it shal show up only when necessary.

4. if you want to go for customised scanning or manually scan your system , open the Windows Defender from the Start menu or its installation folder.

5. If there has been a change in the Homepage , i suggest you see the history in the Defender as it is likely some change has beeen allowed by the user .

6. For the uninstall , it does show up in the Add Remove Programmes. Check again.