slow browsing

el_rob3

hi guys,

i have a network to share internet. there is XP and 98 clients sometimes the internet becomes very slow in browsing and downloading.

is the problem in XP clients?

and what can i do to avoid this slowdown in my connection?

thanks

Many factors slow down the speed of your connection. Firewall, too many users at a certain site, hard drive cache full/near full, slow computer, someone on the network is streaming media. Like rendrag said, post up what kind of network you are running, the type of internet connection you have, how the computers are sharing the internet connection, and what programs you have that access the internet; including virus scanner and firewall if any.

OK

i have DSL with router no firewall and all setting streams OK until few days ago my connection is too slow.some clients have XP OS.if the prob is in it what can i do??the prob can appear in all PCs independent on the PC speed.

thnx

when you say no firewall.. are all the computers connected via public ip's.. that would be an excellant reason for slow network access if there is no filtering on the router.. is the router running NAT

I would check the network for viruses too. if you have an unpatched computer infected with blaster/welchia.. that will drastically slow down your network

How many clients on your network

Speed of network connections

Hub?

Switches?

when does it happen.. same time every day.. when everybody goes home.. does it still happen.

what is your DSL upload/download speed

are you running any web/email servers off this connection

Network latency can come from hundreds of different angles.. please give us as much information as you can so we can help you better

Most routers only allow 5 users to be hard wired. If it's wireless, that's a different story. Maybe somebody is loggin into the network and using ur connection to download massive ammounts of files. Post if it's a wired/wireless connection. Also, what brand/model is the router?

Edited by m3n70r

What routers are you working with, m3n70r? I've never even heard of a consumer router that could limit the number of attached PCs unless you limited the DHCP scope.

I doubt it's specifically because you're mixing win98 and XP... it's more likely something that's running on one of the PCs that slowing the network down.

I was talking about physically connecting a PC to a router at the back, where there are usually only 5 ports. I'm pretty sure you can only connect 5 pc's to those ports unless you have ICS running on one of the computers, or you have a switch/hub connected to any of the ports. I proabably shoulda mentioned that. :blushing: But yea, unless you have either a switch/hub/wireless/ICS running, you can only have however many ports are hooked up to the router.

Edited by m3n70r

Unless you have a real router, then you only have one port for the lan and that port is normally plugged into a switch/firewall device.. I guess I was thinking corporate network instead of home network.

We need more information dude to be able to help you better... if you couldnt tell from the last few posts.. more information is required to better help you.