Can't install win98se upgrade on my win98

lifo2001

Colored lines, colored blocks running all over the place = Video Ram problem.

If you have a separate video card, remove it and thoroughly clean the ram chips and the edge connector and then replace the card and boot up and try again. I do this all the time and it works.

You can try to Dry-Clean the chips with an old (dry) toothbrush, failing that use soap and warm water.

Rinse with Alcohol and let dry in a warm, dry place. NOT the oven. :no:

If your video card is built into your motherboard then it's in the main ram chips.

Clean them as I've indicated above, and when thoroughly dry, put them back in and try again.

I've saved many failing ram chips just by washing them in the sink with Liquid Dish Washing detergent and an old toothbrush. Rinse well, rinse again with alcohol to displace the water then let dry overnight in a warm place.

Be sure to concentrate your efforts on the little silver pins on the sides of the ram chips. That's were the contamination takes place, that shorts the pins together.

I developed this process while a Sr. Tech for ITT Servcom, Corp. and saved them millions of dollars to date.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

• 2 weeks later...
Colored lines, colored blocks running all over the place = Video Ram problem.

If you have a separate video card, remove it and thoroughly clean the ram chips and the edge connector and then replace the card and boot up and try again. I do this all the time and it works.

You can try to Dry-Clean the chips with an old (dry) toothbrush, failing that use soap and warm water.

Rinse with Alcohol and let dry in a warm, dry place. NOT the oven. :no:

If your video card is built into your motherboard then it's in the main ram chips.

Clean them as I've indicated above, and when thoroughly dry, put them back in and try again.

I've saved many failing ram chips just by washing them in the sink with Liquid Dish Washing detergent and an old toothbrush. Rinse well, rinse again with alcohol to displace the water then let dry overnight in a warm place.

Be sure to concentrate your efforts on the little silver pins on the sides of the ram chips. That's were the contamination takes place, that shorts the pins together.

I developed this process while a Sr. Tech for ITT Servcom, Corp. and saved them millions of dollars to date.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

The colored lines and blocks problem can also be caused by a GPU problem. The GPU heatsink may be loose! Also, the GPU may not have enough thermal compound.

Wow, how many PC's did you recover this way? :w00t:

If we average 50 US$ per RAM stick, it needs to make US$ 2,000,000 (the bare minimum to say millions) :

2,000,000/50=40,000 sticks

Assuming that less than 5% of all the PC's develop this kind of problem, and averaging two sticks per PC, it means that you were managing (prudentially) something like

40,000/0.05=800,000/2=400,000 PC's

Supposing this chore was spread over a 5 year period, averaging 230 working days per year:

40,000/5=8,000 sticks per year

8,000/230=34.78 sticks per day

Assuming 8 hours of work per day:

34.78/8=4.35 sticks per hour

i.e. more or less one stick every fifteen minutes. :blink:

...or you had just one day per week for "RAM laundry" say Friday?

in the latter case we have

34,78 x 5=173.91 sticks to be washed on friday that makes:

173.91/8=21.74 sticks per hour, i.e. something like one stick every three minutes.

I know that "hundreds" sounds very similar to "millions", but maybe you got confused.... :whistle:

jaclaz