Utilize Free HDD Space

Hamins

Hi,

I manage a network with a Windows 2003 Std. Server, and 21 WinXP workstations, all connected to a Gigabit network. All the data lies solely on the server, and the workstations just contain software such as Ms-Office, OE, etc. etc.

Now, almost all the workstations have a 40GB HDD, with a 10GB partition that holds the OS, and the various software. The remaining HDD space on all the workstations is unallocated, which means that there is around 21x30 = 630GB of FREE HDD space on the network thats just lying around, unused. What we would like to do is make use of this 630GB of total HDD space. However, we still want all the data to be centrally located. So, we plan on using this free HDD space for backup.

I would like to know if there is any way we can combine the free space of all the HDDs on the network, and use that as one storage volume (Drive) ? Firstly, is that even possible ? If yes, is it a relativelu easy thing to do, without investing in any Hardware or Software ? Whats is a NAS/SAN ?

Also, any other suggestions on how we could utilize the free HDD space, would be most welcome...

Thanx

You are most likely out of luck. I cant invision any way this can be done with out some sorta bit-torrent/P2P file sharing implementation which I would say would be too hard to manage. The best way to utilize that space is to go out and buy 21 20GB hd and replace the ones in the machine and take the 40's and stuff then into a giant raid tower. but your still talking about a silly solution for backups using 20 40 gig prolly IDE HD's for a backup

Basically I guess what I am saying is you cant have centrally stored and have it on 20 different pcs, and any implementation would be too hard to manage, especially if a machine moves/dies/changes name and consolidating the hardware is not practical.

it is not like you are out alot of money.. the difference between 20 and 40 giggers is about 5 bucks so really you are only out about 100 bucks.. just keep then in there and make your job easier

Hi Chili,

Thanx for the response.

What you're saying kinda makes sense. All our data is located centrally on the Win3k server, no problem, thats how we want it.

However, the problem comes up while taking backups. Our data+emails+user profiles amounts to around 25GB. Due to budget contraints we use NTBACKUP as the backup software, and a Maxtor 300GB External HDD, as the Backup Media. Now, the company policy states that a NORMAL backup on all the above should be taken everyday - Mon-Fri. Plus, a complete System State Backup should be taken every Fri. The Entire backup process is automated using a Script, that is scheduled to run at the End of each day. The problem with this is that the 300GB on the External HDD gets maxed out even before the month ends. So, after every 15-20 days we have to manually delete a coupla backup sets to create space.

We're a small Co. and hence have budget constraints. Hence, I was wondering if it would be possible to combine the Free HDD Partitions of all the workstations, and make it into one massive 600GB Volume ?

I can't see any way to make it happen either. Your best bet would be to pickup a couple more external drives.

Another thing I've seen recently is the Iomega REV drives. I haven't personally used one but I do know someone else who bought one for backup purposes...they've been happy with it. It uses 90GB cartridges that are actually like removable hard drives (not like the old ZIP disks). You could get a couple of the cartridges to start off and then add more as necessary. You could even get to a point where you have offsite backup capability. :)

All you really need is the REV drive for PC. They have a Backup Kit that comes with 6 cartridges and includes ARCserve for $580US (direct from Iomega, could be cheaper elsewhere).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Thanks for the response, memnoch

Oh Ratz !!! I thought it would be possible. Would be cool if it were, right ?

Anyway, this whole idea came up, cause of budget constraints. We thought of using the existing free resources, instead of investing in a whole new storage medium for backups.

Btw, could someone tell me what a SAN/NAS is ?

Edited by Hamins

SAN = Storage Area Network

This is basically a cluster of servers that provide failover so data is available 100% of the time. The drives are generally in fiber-channel enclosures for greater expansion options. Grab this document from Microsoft's site for a more in-depth explenation.

NAS = Network Attached Storage

This is a single device that does nothing but provide storage space. Some devices run some flavor of Linux, some run a flavor of Windows Embedded (XP or 2003). To put it simply, it's a cheap alternative to a file server. This device from LaCie is a Network Attached Storage device. Some people also use them strictly for backup purposes.

Webopedia Links:

Storage Area Network

Network Attached Storage

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

I know this isn't going to help, but what your asking is very possible and has already been implemented in software by a company well over a year ago, the only problem is, i can't remember who or what it was called, i know that it required windows server 2000 or higher and basically implemented exactly what your looking for, it was originally envisioned as a redundancy to a server failure, ( i think ), the idea being you distribute the data across your network of drives and if the server is unavailable then it would go to the distributed network for a copy, i remember thinking at the time it was a great idea but impractical for my previous companies needs as network latancy was an issue.

Keep looking i know there is a vendor product that does what you want but my memory fails me ATM.

Pebbles