[Question] Is there a way to manually name a RIS deployed machine?

[Question] Is there a way to manually name a RIS deployed machine during setup? I want the setup to stop and let the administrator name the machine and then it continue on. I have tried to edit the SIF files and i keep getting a "computername" in the [Data] section of the SIF is missing or corrupt. Please assist and thank you in advance!

What you actually want to do is referred to as "prestaging" the computer. What you do is create a computer object in the OU where you want the computer to reside. Give it whatever name you like, check the box that says something similar to "This is a managed computer" and by checking that you will get another dialog box in the computer account creation process. The extra dialog box is where you need to enter in the computers UUID or GUID (I've seen it referred to as both depending on the manufacturer). Most computers made in the last 5 years will have one of these. You can usually find it either in the BIOS or in the configuration of the MBA (managed boot agent). If you are unable to find the GUID that way, initiate a RIS boot and go through the screens. The very last screen before it all starts should show you the computer's name and directly underneath it will be the GUID. Alternatively, when you create the computer account, you can substitute the GUID with the MAC address of the NIC preceded by twenty (20) numerical zeros (0).

You can do a custom setup in RIS. Just after you authenticate in RIS you can choose to do a Custom setup vs an Automated setup (or wording similar). In a custom setup you key in the computer name and, if you wish, specify what OU you want the new computer account to go. Then you pick your RIS image as you normally would and off you go. As long as your SIF file still lists the computer name as %MACHINENAME% you're in business.

If you don't have those options, you'll need to change the default domain policy and turn on the options for custom installs.

• 3 months later...

hi guys, i've followed the steps as mentioned by Rogue Spear but having problems that i hope someone can help with.

got the RIS server going, got the image up to it but in deployment getting the GUID/UUID issue.

i tried Rogue Spears tip to create the computer object in AD first and assign it's GUID to it. however, in the RIS process it still applies the GUID from the PC that was used to create the original image and overwrites it.

any tips appreciated. during the RIS process it says that its the same as another PC on the network but that it can be cleaned up in AD afterwards, what that process is though is proving elusive to track down.

Cheers, thanks in advance

Shane

I can't say enough bad things about RIPrep. I haven't messed with it for over three years now. IMO you'd be better off using standard flat images and automating all of the post setup chores.

I agree with RogueSpear...

I havent been using RIS for long but ive gone with flat images which are automated. The little RIP REP I did took ages & wasnt very succesfull.

Edited by chiners_68

Don't bother with prestaging your machines in AD, it's far easier to do a custom setup.

Do go with flat images as opposed to RIPrep images, it's far easier.

Go into the properties of your RIS server in AD, and enable custom setup. While you're there, change the target AD container if you wish. Now, when you start a RIS session, after you authenticate you'll have the options to do either an automatic or custom setup. If you choose automatic, you will select the image to deploy and everything is (you guessed it) automatic. If you choose to do a custom, you select the image, and then you get a screen where you can set the computer name, and even specify a specific container for the computer account to go.

Don't bother with prestaging your machines in AD, it's far easier to do a custom setup.

If you're in a place like mine where there's only 100 or so workstations, I would definitely prestage them. If you ever need to re-install a machine, all you have to do is a RIS boot and an hour later you have a new computer. It's better to just take the time the first time and do it right.

On the other hand, if you're in an enterprise with several hundred or even several thousand computers, it would be impractical at best, impossible at worst to prestage everything. But then again, if you're in an environment like that you should also have SMS throughout.

Edited by RogueSpear

You can do a custom setup in RIS. Just after you authenticate in RIS you can choose to do a Custom setup vs an Automated setup (or wording similar). In a custom setup you key in the computer name and, if you wish, specify what OU you want the new computer account to go. Then you pick your RIS image as you normally would and off you go. As long as your SIF file still lists the computer name as %MACHINENAME% you're in business.

If you don't have those options, you'll need to change the default domain policy and turn on the options for custom installs.

This is the way I would (and do) do it. Primarily because we follow a naming scheme when naming machines that indicates the Department and Floor...