What next after installing Exchange 2003

open up the ports on your router and foward to your exchange box. Most of the config. is through ad aka active directory you can also make some config change using the exchange system manager but i would suggest you take a look around microsoft.com/exchange

install outlook on a few computers make a few users in AD and create them mailboxes, try sending mail to each other, you could try creating a few public folders,

theres not a great lot you can do with exchange straight off, its only when you need to block certain domains from sending to you, stuff like this when it takes a bit of knowledge. but most can be found through www.slipstick.com its a great exchange resource

also you could try setting up OWA (outlook web access) and OMA (outlook mobile access)

both can be accessed internally and externally using your internal/external ip so theres something to try :)

other than this i cant think of much else to do with it straight off :wacko:

If your domain name uses a non-public dns suffix then you will need to change the recipient policy under the ESM MMC to reflect the public dns address and set it as primary

Also another thing is to configure real time black listing through spamhaus.org or another provider.

Other than those 2, I dont normally configure much more be default

Other things you could do would be configuring ssl for authentication

pop3 connectors to retreive external mail

create an installation package of outlook 2003 to autoconfigure all settings for the user the first time they open outlook

Exchange 2003 comes with Outlook 2003. Download the Office resource kit from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en and create a custom installation. Then you can deploy it via group policy to all machines.. if configured correctly you can have it automatically configure the users outlook profile so you wont have to.

Thanks everyone!! ill look at the links and sites you have mentioned but not sure if im asking a question that will be answered by me reading one of those links or not so ill ask anyway........

As ive installed Exchange successfully usually in AD once you get into the properties of a user you would usually have Exchange tabs to play with. These dont appear so im thinking is this something i have to configure or have i missed out something?

thx

If you are using a machine other than the Exchange Server to look at Exchange-related tabs, you need to at least install the Exchange Admin tools on that machine from the Exchange CD, and also install the same service pack on said machine as is installed on the Exchange Server itself.