Thermal Paste Tips

Aegis

I have a 7800GT with the default heatsink installed. Because the heatsink for the memory is unsmooth, I don't know how much paste I need? Would 1mm suffice?

Also, for the processor, the IHS blocks the core from view, so I don't know where to apply the compound. I don't want to apply it to the entire IHS, as that's a waste of time and AS-5.

you should try using sandpaper to make the heatsink smoother. for the memory i rly dont know how much as5 to put on, a vry tiny drop is all. try smoothing it out while you finger(make sure that you are wearing a glove or put a plastic bag around ur hand).

what do u mean the ihs block the core from view? what brand/model do u have

i have an evga 7800gt p517

and i bought this for it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835186133

my load temps are about 10C lower and i didnt use any as5, i used whatever came on it

That's for the processor. Normally the core is where you place the paste, but with the IHS in place, I can't see where I should paste it on.

And another question, what should I use to wipe away remains of the Arctic Silver thermal material remover? I've tried paper towels and cotton, but both get snagged by the resistors or whatever you call them.

Edited by Aegis

try smoothing it out while you finger(make sure that you are wearing a glove or put a plastic bag around ur hand)
Doh...no no no...hehe :)

The oils from your skin will interfere with how the AS5 works. It's contents are specifically engineered to work a certain way and the oils from your skin will change it's properties. Clean both surfaces (heatsink and/or CPU/RAM chips) with isopropyl alcohol. Wait for it to dry and put just a dab on center of the surface of the CPU/RAM. Then use a razor blade to evenly smooth out the compound. Just a tip... :)

As for the CPU, put a very thin coat on the entire IHS. "IHS" stand for "Integrated Heat Spreader". In other words, it's designed to spread the heat out so your heatsink can do a better job keeping the CPU cool...so you need to put thermal paste on the entire thing. And when I say "very thin" you should almost be able to read the lettering on the IHS through the paste. Remember, the paste is only there to help fill small gaps on the IHS and heatsink surfaces. This helps to ensure that as much heat as possible is getting transfered from the IHS to the heatsink as possible. It's not meant to be another layer between the IHS and heatsink...too much can be a bad thing.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

But that's contradictary to what Arctic Silver says:

Since the vast majority of the heat from the core travels directly through the heat spreader, it is more important to have a good interface directly above the actual CPU core than it is to have the heat spreader covered with compound from corner to corner.

And is it OK if there's lint on the chip so long as it's not on the die?

Edited by Aegis

It's true that most of the heat will be directly in the center...but you want it to be spread out and disipated to the entire heatsink. That way the heatsink can move the heat away from the core faster.

Again, the paste is only helping to create the "interface" between the heat spreader and the heat sink. It's not supposed to be layered on so thick that the heatsink is only touching paste and the heat spreader is only touching paste. The paste can't do nearly as good of a job at moving the heat away as the heatsink can. However, due to peaks and valleys in the design of the heatsink and heat spreader the paste is needed to give the heatsink more contact area.

If you put more than a paper thin layer of paste, you will make your processor run hotter, and from the sound of how you were thinking of applying it, if you did it that thick, you may well burn your processor up. You would be FAR FAR FAR better with no paste at all than with too much. Yes, you should be able to nearly see through the paste, and cover it in a paper thin layer from corner to corner of the IHS, well, nearly to the edges, stop just shy of them to prevent any from being smushed out the sides.

its so easy just follow the instructions on the arctic silver webpage.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

alot of people suggest covereing the whole heat spreader with a thin layer.

I suggest the drop on the center and let the heatsink flatten it out.

I tested both methods on an SocketA, Socket754, and Socket939, and applying a drop on the center of the heatspreader and letting the heatsink flatten it is the best. It really made quite a different: several degrees celsius.

To remove old paste i use: ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier - 60ml Kit

Does the job Perfectly, just let the liquid sit on the paste for 60 secs and it basically runs off, then use the other liquid to clean it up! removes it from all the hard to get places as well! (sounds like an advert!)

Also, I just put a dab in the centre and let the heat stink spread it out...remember the heat sink base gets tight up to contact, so its gonna spread like mad!