PC4000 on my Socket A System?

Maleko

Ok, i got a A7N8X Deluxe Board, with a Barton 3200+ CPU.

at the moment i got x2 512MB PC3200 memory, but wanna upgrade to 2GB.

Will this memory work:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Ballistix_Kits.html

Crucial 2GB (2x1GB) DDR PC4000 Ballistix Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864Z503)

I know it will onlyrun at my system max FSB of 400, but will the PC4000 run on my board, each slot does support 1gb sticks.

also i keep gettin BSOD's with memory errors, another reason why i wanna upgrade!

Cheers guys!

If PC4000 DDR Ram will run on your system I'm not really sure, but I'd like to tell you that I too have those specs (see sig), but just with PC3200 (Corsair), and it all works fine. Sure I also thought about buying another 1Gig for my system, but then I got back into reality realising Socket A is already an aging system and I really wondered if it still would do any good this extra memory...

The thing you (and me :P) really need is better CPU power and that works great with 2Gigs of memory I guess. Imo 1Gig of DDR Ram for an old Socket A system would be a waste money, and I'm also not too sure if you'd even noticed some better performance (less stutter) in Battlefield 2 for instance.

(as you can see, comments are not based on facts, but on strong hunches of course :P)

Yes the PC4000 will run on your system. But why would you waste cash on it, you might as well get normal PC3200 memory instead.

In any case, as mentioned above, going for 2 GB on a Socket-A would be useless. There is Socket-AM2 coming soon from AMD, with dual-core processors & DDR2 memory support. So if you do upgrade to a newer system, all of your 2 GB will still be a waste, you'll have to throw it away & buy new RAM sticks.

the only reason to get pc4000 is if you want to overclock, so if you dont then save money and get pc3200. and do not get the ballistix! there are many problems with them and crucial hasnt been able to fix them so they are going to discontinue their 2x1gig sticks.

well, i went out and got it for a few reasons:

finally installing it i have noticed a big difference when loasign heavy games, such as BF2 which does demand a LOT of memory, loadign quicker, near next to no hard drive activity, as it doenst need virtual memory like it used to.

also, if AMD bring out anothe rnew chip, that in theory would mean current chips would slightly drop in proce, as im not one who goes out any buys the brand new stuff, so my PC4000 would then cointribute to increase in speed if and wehn i do upgrade.

so as i say, each to his own :) but thnks for the advice guys! will also keep my eye on my memory to see if any problem do occure.