[Question] - Purchasing Windows XP

PUnitBabyDaddy

To answer your question as to the differences between XP Home and Pro, a simple Googling would find this useful link.

I'd say go with the Full version if you can. OEM versions aren't directly supported by Microsoft, so you'll have a bit of a harder time contacting their support staff if anything goes wrong.

I am just curious has anyone ever contacted MS support for help? If so then I understand getting non-OEM....and also the 2 processor support in XP Pro, does that mean one can see a slight increase in performance with say dual core or say Intel Hyperthreading processors between Home and Professional?

Go with XP PRO OEM. For support, you won't need M$ as you have a WEALTH of info right here at MSFN. :yes::yes: With Microsoft support I have only had to deal with them once and that was due to a CD I had would not install (W2K PRO OEM). They asked me for a CD-Key gave it to them and in a few days I had a working CD. As far as M$ changing the OEM stuff that is STUPID!!!!! What if I only need 1 copy of XP Pro OEM and my pc at home is waiting for it? BS is what I say. Guess it's time to break out my Amigas :yes: and change my x86 cases into LINUX!! If your looking at GREAT prices check out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16837102062

BTW: Started using M$ products since Dos 5.0 came out. A little later with a Bridgeboard in my Amiga 2000 which I still have today and works!! :P

jd

Edited by Jdmero

I am just curious has anyone ever contacted MS support for help? If so then I understand getting non-OEM....and also the 2 processor support in XP Pro, does that mean one can see a slight increase in performance with say dual core or say Intel Hyperthreading processors between Home and Professional?

Home supports both Hyperthreaded CPUs and Dual Core CPUs. You won't see a difference in performance between Home and Pro since they will both have access to run the same number of threads.

What it doesn't support is Multiple CPUs. So you can use Home on a P4 w/ Hyperthreading and get the Hyperthreading benefits. What you can't do is get Multi-CPU support/benefits on a Dual Xeon or Dual Operton system. It'll install on these systems, it just won't recognize/use any CPUs other than the first one.

I contacted Microsoft support online chat with support tehnician (not OEM)

what can I say, the dude helping me was a novice, even I knew more about Windows than he did, than he was saying every 2 minutes : "let me check this with someone, please wait..."

At the end no help that could be used was recived...

So go figure :-{

XP Home is licenced to one machine, XP Pro is licensed to 2 machines, even with OEM versions.

Nope... that's not true.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:

• Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer. You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted by the NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop features described below, you may not use the Product to permit any Device to use, access, display or run other executable software residing on the Workstation Computer, nor may you permit any Device to use, access, display, or run the Product or Product's user interface, unless the Device has a separate license for the Product.

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional EULA

One computer, two CPUs max per licence of XP (Home or Pro). If you want more, you're running a server and need to buy the appropriate licence.

What part of that EULA is hard to understand? It's straight from the source, and the bolded parts make it quite clear - one computer with a maximum of 2 CPUs per licence. Anything more and you're breaking your EULA.

Zxian maybe the practice changed lately, but we have received no notice about it from MS, so our clients are practicing what you are presuming is a breach of contract.

In any case, back to the topic:

PUnitBabyDaddy if you can buy XP Pro volume licence...

that's the last of me on this topic

Edited by Angelico_Payne