[Question] - Purchasing Windows XP

PUnitBabyDaddy

I need some clarity for my purchase of another WinXP Home copy;

Which of these is the best bet (aside from the huge $ difference) also what advantages does one have over the other?

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4052682?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

or

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4582427?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Title Edited - Please follow new forum rules from now on

-- Martin L

Well, there are two differences, actually, and they matter quite a bit.

1. The OEM version comes with no support from Microsoft in any way, short of public hotfixes and service packs. If you need a private hotfix or other support, you'll pay $250 per incident if you contact Microsoft. OEM copies are meant to be supported by the company or system builder that provided you with the PC that the OEM version of Windows is installed on, not Microsoft.

2. The OEM version is technically only allowed to be sold with new hardware, and since September 2005 that doesn't mean a power cord or memory stick, it means a whole new PC. Otherwise, you may not fall within legal boundaries for buying OEM copies. Now, if you're an OEM system builder recognized by Microsoft, you can do this, but the copies cannot be for your own personal use on a pre-existing PC - they are to be given to purchasers of your computer systems (hence, system builder), or to be installed by you on your own new PC (which you will support).

So, the price is actually the least of the differences.

Edited by cluberti

You can buy OEM copies on EBAY that come with a screw, since that can be considered computer hardware heh.

I've also read that recently the rules of OEM purchasing have changed where you don't even need that screw. Something about if you have built your own machine, then you are entitled to obtain OEM windows. I don't quite recall the specifics.

Old OEM SB packaging:

Has a square COA available in 3 and 30 packs, sealed packs can be sold without hardware, individual copies must be sold with non-peripheral hardware or a PC.

New OEM SB packaging:

Has a round COA available in 1, 3, and 30 packs, sealed packs can be sold without hardware, individual copies must be sold with a PC.

haha with a screw. Funny. I would get Pro. Well worth it. Even though I have Home and it is visibly no different besides prob the start menu but the Home does not come with a multithreaded kernel o rsomething like that IIRC. The Pro version does.

As a tech, I won't touch XP-Home with a ten foot pole.

What a piece of crippled Krapp.

It's PRO or nothing.

I got from 98/SE to XP-Pro in just one jump with an XP Pro Upgrade CD....

Since then I've Slipstreamed it with SP2 for a repair CD that just won't quit.

It will overlay any previous ver of windows.

I've rerun it several times to fix problems in my own running version of XP.

Go Pro....

Cheers,

Andromeda43 ;)

Err I never heard of OEM versions not being able to download updates...

Ok thanks. What's the 'support' from M$ that doesn't come with the OEM versions?

Finally, um just as a personal computer user which is the better choice for me? I have 3 systems that I've built myself and I already have a WinXP Home copy that I purchased in 2002 for one of them. I'm not fully aware of the exact advantages to PRO over HOME. Should I go with Home or Pro and the OEM or not?

Thanks for everything!