XP and 2000 network connectivity

jcarlosd

:) Sorry if this is a newbie question, and if don't understand my poor English...

I have a local network with 4 computers, 2 with XP-Home and 2 with W-2000. From an XP I can see the share folders from W-2000, but I can not see the other XP. From the W-2000 I cannot see the XP either.

All computers are in the same group.

The message I read is "login failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

What do I have to configure at the XP machines in order to be seen by other computers?

Helen :rolleyes:

This is the best place to go for networking info that I have found. It covers all the MS OS's and how to network them together. It sounds like you will just have to go into the 2k systems and set your permissions for the other systems. This page will also have the instructions for that. It's the World of Windows Networking. Hope it helps...

http://www.wown.com/

Finally I have something to say. It seems that this problem is related with the "ForceGuest" feature, but I am not completely sure. :rolleyes: My situation was more complicated that the one I wrote in my note: many computers and what I really wanted was to share the printers..., but I saw that no files were accessed outside any Win-XP computer.

What happened?

- I checked that under Local Security Policy was enabled the directive "Network Access: Force Network Logons using Local Accounts to Authenticate as Guest"

- I checked that while sharing the Disk C, the group "Everyone" had premissions to read and write

Now one of the computers (and it printer) can be accesed from the rest of the computers. There is still another one with this problem, but I move the printer to other computer. :)

Sorry I cannot tell more details, due to my lack ok knowledge, of both the Windows XP inner functioning and the difficulty of the translation of the Spanish messages and errors to English. :cry:

Elena

Are all of ur machines on the same ip range and subnet? I would suggest that you configure all of ur machines to use the 100.0.0.x range, and the 255.255.255.0 subnet, thats wat i did wif my machines. However if you plan to run a web server off any of the machines, you will need to use an ip range that is not in use on the net.

Now I do want you to understand that Windows XP Home version will only do peer to peer networking. If the problem is due to your network needing a domain logon the Home version won't do that.

Now I do want you to understand that Windows XP Home version will only do peer to peer networking. If the problem is due to your network needing a domain logon the Home version won't do that.

:)