Vista Language Support

neilw2

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether Vista will support standard English (i.e. worldwide UK English) not just US-English. I'd hate to think yet another generation of people in Britain/Australia/India/etc will grow up thinking words like 'color', 'personalize', 'canceled', etc. are the correct spellings.

This omission from XP really annoys me, especially when about 40 other languages are supported.

Thanks.

Neil.

Last time I looked, 35% of the world population spoke English (about 104 countries). The majority of which speak British English. I don't know about you, but if Windows can support numerous minor variants of languages such as Chinese, etc. then surely the most common variant of the top speaking language should be supported 'out of the box'.

It might not matter to America, but it does the rest of the world. You wouldn't like me to force you to write 'colour', 'personalise', and 'cancelled', would you?

Edited by neilw2

Those are the correct spellings. If you want your language you write it.

You're out of line and obviously don't know what you're talking about. :realmad:

Even Canadian English is different the US English. If it wasn't for the fact that I do programming, I'd still be writing COLOUR just like the brits do. :)

@neilw2:

Welcome aboard mate, don't let the random thorns turn you away. Welcome to MSFN.

Umm, WinXP does support Australian English for one, I know that. Whenever I install Windows on a computer, when the language and regional options come up I always set the keyboard layout to 'English - Australia', and the same with date time, currency, location, etc... The options are all there. But, the settings only work in Word and such, if you goto 'Color' options in display, it doesn't show as the Australian spelling.

Whether Vista will support it or not... who knows?

Yeah coming from a background in UK english, it was quite weird to see Americans spelling so differently...but it does make sense why not have the u in colour...apparently the setllers here despite speaking English wanted to be as different from their english roots as is possible and hence they struck out the u for example in a lot of words. I swear I learned that in a history class.

Just go into the language options, add language, select English (UK) then chnage the keyboard settings too. It's really annoying installing vista, and when it's finished mixing up " with @ and vice versa :wacko: