Memtest-86 report of my 1gig stick of ddr

ceez

Zup fellow msfn'er?

My PC has been experiencing some intermitent issues, freezing, rebooting, programs crashing, and other bsd which apparently indicate "faulty" ram.

I decided to download memtest-86 v3.2 and ran it. After a whole night of diagnosing it gave me the following

TST | PASS | FAILING ADDRESS | GOOD | BAD | ERR-BITS | COUNT | CHANNEL

7 | 0 | 00028100008 - 641.0MB | fae8c09f | fae8c09d | 00000002 | 1 |

7 | 0 | 00000168008 - 1.5MB | f79d5046 | f79d5044 | 00000002 | 1 |

badram=0x28100008,0xfffffffc,0x00168008,0xffffffc

badram=0x28100008,0xfffffffc,0x00168008,0xffffffc

Does this mean the whole stick is bad or just those areas? Should ANY area be faulty? I am assuming no since any program can alocate that memory at any time.

Thanks for your help deciphering this...

ceez

Edited by ceez

Are you overclocking? If so, and even if you aren't, lower the RAM clock - sometimes this happens if you have low-quality RAM that may run perfectly fine at a lower speed.

Otherwise, yes, you will have to replace the whole stick. You can't easily buy individual chips and solder/unsolder them on yourself.

no, i am not overclocking. Everything is default.

So those 2 errors mean that I just have a bad stick no matter what? That sucks.

The memory is 'ULTRA' from Tigerdirect...that should be low quality enough huh?!?!

thkz

You have no choice but to replace it, since the first defect is near the beginning:

00000168008 - 1.5MB
If you only had this one
00028100008 - 641.0MB
It would be possible to limit the system to use only 640MB, avoided the area with the error.

@LLXX - what about voltage and timings?

i always get errors until i set the voltage correctly (athlon 64 - pretty particular about memory).

@ceez - unless LLXX knows something i don't, i'd suggest finding out exactly what the voltage and timings are supposed to be set at for your MB/memory combo. you may find that info on the MB vendors site.

Edited by atomizer

• 1 year later...
@LLXX - what about voltage and timings?

i always get errors until i set the voltage correctly (athlon 64 - pretty particular about memory).

@ceez - unless LLXX knows something i don't, i'd suggest finding out exactly what the voltage and timings are supposed to be set at for your MB/memory combo. you may find that info on the MB vendors site.

You may require better cooling. Freezes often mean overheating.