Am I Protected ?

ocp1000

Hi y'all.

I recently bought a webcam to use with MSN messenger.

A friend of mine told me that there's a rumor that your webcam can be accessed quite easliy and basicly, people can spy on you without your knowledge.

After I googled the subject it seemed that it's not as true as he thought, although a few people suggested that with the right knowledge it can be done.

My question is am I protected against the "avarage hacker" (i.e the kind the doesn't posses the knowledge to hack my webcam) ?

Thanks !

[Ocp!]

i personally haven't heard of this. if your concerned, just turn your webcam so it faces the wall when your not using it. also, i most cams are unable to be used with more then one application, so if you have it running, it shouldn't be able to start in another program

That would be very difficult to do. For someone to gain access to your webcam, either you'd have to be running a service that listens on a port and interacts with the webcam, or software on your machine that interacts with the webcam would have to initiate a connection.

So the short answer would be, No. It's difficult for someone to "hack" your webcam.

Edited by LLXX