Network connections dropped

mritter

When I am copying/moving large, and sometimes small, files between my home computers I will usually get an error message stating the network location is no longer available. Yes it is available. I have to reboot the computer that "is no longer available" and continue where I left off. It will then do it again for no reason.

Is there some bandwidth allowance setting I am overlooking? I am just using whatever defaults Windows XP provides. It is driving me nuts because at my work I never have this kind of problem. Even there I am just using the Windows defaults.

I get the error using Simple File Sharing or regular sharing. All are the same XP install and updated. All same mobo and nic. No spyware. No virus.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

try and assign static unroutable IP adresses to each computer (192.168.0.1 to the first computer and 192.168.0.2 to the other one) and the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and also make sure bothe computers are part of the same workgroup. then try using a transfer manager like windows commander or total commander. good luck. B) Should you run in any trouble come back here and let me know.

Every computer has an IP assigned to it. Everything out of the box works fine: internet, printer/file sharing, can see all computers.

I can move loads of small files with no problem. When I start moving large files, 500MB+, is when it starts happening. But not every time. Usually after a few gigs. It's like a transfer limit is killing it.

I am just copying/pasting files from one computer to another. I doubt a transfer manager will no anything.

Will keep looking around..............

try opening command prompt and ping ip address -n 1000 >c:\ping.txt

change the 1000 to the number of pings you want.

anyway this will export the pings to a txt file and you can examine it to see if you drop packets on a regular basis.. could help you to begin to resolve the problem :)