Newb desperately needs help...

darkness_

I have Windows XP Corp on my desktop and I'm getting ready to install a new mobo and hard drive. However, I can no longer find my Win XP cd (although I do have my old Win 98 cd). I know there are extensive guides on how to create a Win XP cd, but those appear to only apply if you already have a CD from which to work (something I lack).

What I'm wondering is if there is some way I can create a Win XP Corp CD from the OS on my hard drive. If not, does anyone have any suggestions for how I can go about reinstalling XP on my upgraded system?

Thanks in advance.

If you purchased the OS legally and still have the CD-key, you can contact Microsoft. But I bet the CD-key was written on the CD with a black marker, because newbs don't usually deploy corporate versions :) I imagine you could find it again.

Couldn't you just format the new HDD and copy *all* the files over, or do an Image copy?

That's worked for me when I changed drives... after copying the files and FIXMBR'ing and FIXBOOT'ing the new drive from a final boot to the console on the old drive, just boot from the new drive.

If you're a home user and you've got a copy of XP Corporate, then it's an illegal copy. If you have a legit VLK licence, you'd know to contact Microsoft for more installation media.

Topic closed.